1942 Buick carbureter questions

tinsled

Hello,

Trying to get the engine running (it was disassembled by previous owner...)

Some questions:
- the front carbureter...

- what is the "gizmo" marked #1 ?

- where to hook the pipe from the automatic choke (#2)

- other issues I'm likely bound to cross?

- hints, recommendations when waking up the sleeping beauty carbureters...?

Thanks!

T.S.

b-carb.jpg

#1 is the starter switch. Often replaced by a simple pushbutton

#2 is the choke hot air connection. There should be a tube (about 1/4") going from there to somewhere on the exhaust manifold. That is how the choke mechanism senses engine temperature to operate the butterfly

Thank you, Sir.

Please tell me some more of the starter switch, is it some kind of "choke" as well, does it operate air or fuel valve?
There seems to be electric connection in low left corner of my photo - where should I hook it?
(Is it + terminal, when it should go "hot" (encaged voltage) ?)

There's a small threaded hole in the exhaust manifold below the front carb. I will post a photo tomorrow. May be the point to hook the pipe from the choke spring chamber?

Thanks,

t.s.

The starter switch takes two wires (two separate connections). One is the wire from the ignition switch on the steering column to the starter switch. The other is from the starter switch to the starter solenoid. There is a vacuum chamber inside the starter switch that prevents the starter from accidentally engaging when the engine is running. Take it apart and clean it so it works properly. They often get dirty and don't move easily.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Texas

Thanks for all advice & link to the factory shop manual!

Would the thread hole on right in below photo be the spot to hook the choke heat spring chamber pipe?

Where to hook the pipe from intake manifold, big fitting in the center of the photo?

Pekka/Tinsled

IMG_7541.JPG

• 1 month later...

You are correct, the small hole is for the hear riser. It is open through the manifold to the open air at the bottom, allowing heated air to rise to the choke assembly.  Be sure this tube is open by running a wire down through it. Insects such as mud wasps often nest in holes like this.  If your pipe is missing or unusable, CARS has a kit to replace it. http://www.oldbuickparts.com/cart/carburetion-c-76_88_502.html?page=3&sort=4a

The large threaded hole is for manifold vacuum. A metal line runs from it around the engine and connects to the front of the fuel pump at the top. A similar line runs from the back of the fuel pump to the rubber hose for the windshield wipers that comes through the firewall.  The lower diaphragm of the fuel pump supplies fuel, and the upper diaphragm is a vacuum pump for the wipers. It appears they have plugged the line with a screw, the engine will run fine this way but you probably won't have wipers.

Thanks for useful information, Thomas!

Actually my car is missing the vacuum power system completely.

Some of the previous owners have deleted the fuel/vacuum pump, put a blind plate to block the opening and installed electric fuel pump near the tank!

The wipers are missing, I have not yet checked is the vacuum motor left under the dash, but I will do tonight.

... the story will be continued...