What The Heck is This? - 39 Century

boaterhat

Hello Everyone,

So what we’re looking at is a 39 Buick Century, I bought this a little over a month ago. She drives great, runs amazingly.

While inspecting the vehicle I noticed this strange bit hanging out under the driver’s side horn. I figured it may be some part of the blinker harness however I see nothing in the shop manual about it.

Do any of you have any ideas?

Thanks a bunch,

buick.jpg

Thanks guys!

Vagas Dave - I know! At first I was thinking "so who put the blinker here". The car has had an interesting past. Up until the 90's it was owned by the same guy. Driven as a daily driver through the 70's. Sometime in the late 90's a fellow in Long Beach "restored" it. The exterior, except for some of the chrome is quite nice. Sadly the grill looks like crud. This is my first project ever.

39_Buick,

Thank you, I think is set up the member tag right, we'll see

Here's a picture for everyone, Glacier Blue is the name of the color if I'm correct.

13230325_10156983885555002_1504085798956999825_n.jpg

Danhar,

Looks like it, and maybe I'm wrong but it goes from the top of the voltage regulator to the horn relay. That is to say if I'm reading the diagrams correctly. I know for sure though it does enter/exit the voltage regulator. I'll take a better photo in the morning.

Thanks.

Boaterhat,

I am not sure what it is, but the photos indicate that the wiring insulation appears to be brittle and if falling apart extensively, exposing bare wires. You may want to make replacement a priority.  It would be a shame to end up with an electrical fire, if one of thise exposed leads finds it way to ground.

Good luck with your project.

Glenn Manes

Wheat Ridge CO

• Like 1

20 hours ago, boaterhat said:

Thanks guys!

Vagas Dave - I know! At first I was thinking "so who put the blinker here". The car has had an interesting past. Up until the 90's it was owned by the same guy. Driven as a daily driver through the 70's. Sometime in the late 90's a fellow in Long Beach "restored" it. The exterior, except for some of the chrome is quite nice. Sadly the grill looks like crud. This is my first project ever.

39_Buick,

Thank you, I think is set up the member tag right, we'll see

Here's a picture for everyone, Glacier Blue is the name of the color if I'm correct.

Yep.  Put the tag '39 Buick Team in you name profile and you are a member.

By the fine grille & small wiper transmission you car is early production. Does it have a short or long chassis?

'39 grills are often damaged.  There are 2 types:- 39 & 45 vertical bars.  If you ever come across a good grille (even 1 side) just buy it.  There are also some very bad reproductions out there. But your looks original.

I suspect you car has been repainted.   Glacier blue is very dark.

If you post the details from the cowl body data plate, chassis number (by the starter motor) and engine serial number Sean199y will give some information.

39',

Yes it is early, so the original owner purchased this Century in 38' at a dealer in Wilmington CA. (North end of Long Beach). Definitely yes it has been repainted, the original paint still exists on the inside door edges. Though it is slightly darker than the present body color. I'd love to re-chrome my grill, it's the centerpiece, everyone sees it coming and well as we see it's a bit rough. Only thing is I don't want to take almost all of the front end off to get to it. However after our little ride through Long Beach on Saturday I may just have to take out the radiator if flushing doesn't work.

Pic to come soon.

PS: anyone have a jerry rigged idea to pull the door handle clips?

Ok everyone here's some more photos of the mystery part. As well as a pic of the data plate. By chance dose anyone have a photo of the horn relay box opened up? Maybe we're looking at a bad attempt to get the horn to work? Shot in the dark.

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

1.png

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Very strange stuff here looks like we have two horn relays. There was a wire running from the passenger side terminal on the v-regulator to the center terminal on the top h-relay. The cut-out ran from the passenger side, top h-relay to the bolt holding both the h-relays to the body.

I’ve isolated the top h-relay and started her up, everything is find! Horns both work. Now here’s what I wonder. Let’s suppose the v-regulator is from a 40’ with the different amperage – would this setup do anything to drop (I believe the 40’ was a higher amp) that amp down to be suitable. The top h-relay didn’t connect to the bottom one which the horns all wired do.

I see no change in my electrical since I removed the crazy thing, however if anyone has any idea what this might have been about let me know.   

asd.png

It's a beautiful Century, but your bare wiring scares me half to death! PLEASE tape up some of those bare places that look like they are nearly in contact with other metal pieces, or you are going to have a dead battery or a short or a fire.

You can remove the grille without taking the front end apart, if you will remove the splash pan between radiator bottom and front sheet metal bottom, then reach up behind the grille and undo the little bolts that hold it on--3/8ths inch bolts, if I remember correctly.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Leonard, Tx

Pete,

Thanks for the grill info. Right now I'm going through wire by wire and tapping. I'm honestly about to say ta hell with it and buy a new harness and get rid of all this crumbing mess. Some dash wiring has already be swapped out.

Any though guys?

J.