How to remove rear wheel on 1916 DB Touring

jstro

So, trying to check wheel bearings on rear wheels of my 1916 DB Touring Car.  First time inspecting so I want to be sure I don't break anything taking the wheel off.  The Axle shaft seems loose, but the wheel and drum won't budge.  Is a puller required?

Edited by jstro
Typo (see edit history)

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you know off-hand what the thread specs for the wheel are so I can know I have the correct puller?  Most pullers I can find, the sellers have no idea what they fit. 

So it seems I don't need a puller after all.  I have to remove the front plate of the wheel, and there is a through bolt which needs removed.  I will post an update later tonight with some pictures to help the next guy : )

Jon

5 hours ago, jstro said:

So it seems I don't need a puller after all.  I have to remove the front plate of the wheel, and there is a through bolt which needs removed.  I will post an update later tonight with some pictures to help the next guy : )

Jon

Yep, pre '22 is a full floater so no puller is needed. Just knock out the pin, slide the axle out, and remove the plate or you can remove the plate and axle in one piece

So after some investigation, a call to Tom Myers (Myers early Dodge Parts), I found what was needed.

So, the procedure is to remove the hub cap, and then a little pin which secures the axle shaft to the hub. Remove the 8 hub nuts, and remove the hub. This then exposes the locking adjustment nut which is secured in place with a screw.  Loosen the screw and remove the nut.  Now the outer bearing may be removed, then the wheel (with the brake drum) pulled off, then finally the inner wheel bearing.

Pretty easy once the magic of removing the hub was discovered : )

I have also attached the picture from a parts manual showing all the pieces and parts. 

I am amazed that Dodge still does the parking brake basically the same way to this day (my 2003 Ram1500 4WD), using inner brake pads which ride inside the brake drum on the reverse of the disc brake rotor.  I guess if it works, don't fix it applies?

Thanks for all the help.

20160616_164028.jpg

20160616_164103.jpg

20160616_164125.jpg

20160616_164424.jpg

20160616_164430.jpg

20160616_135149.jpeg

• Like 1