Unknown Artillery Wheels

Hudsy Wudsy

I bought a set of four artillery wheels at a swap meet a few years ago for the new 6:00 X 16" tires that were on them. The man who was selling them said that they had belonged to a friend of his and that it was his recollection that they were off of a '35 Pontiac. What they were off of wasn't important to me at the time, but now that I would like to turn them into some cash, I'd like to be sure of their origin before I advertise them incorrectly. They are Budd wheels and the number on them is 344181, although that last number may be a "4". They also have 16 X 42 stamped nearby. Maybe that "42" could be "4.2", but I don't see a decimal point at all. On a Motorwheel Company wheel, like Chrysler products, there would likely be a "16 X 3 1/4" stamp, so I don't know how to interpret that 16 X 42 on the Budd wheel, but I can say that the bead width is 4 1/4". Their pattern is 5 X 5", their center hole is 3 1/2" and their backspacing is 4". Any help you folks could give in identifying them would certainly be appreciated. BTW, if these do turn out to be Pontiac wheels, would any of you know if they would be the same as Chev Standard (five bolt) wheels?

017.JPG

019.JPG

IMG_2311.JPG

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

John, when I first brought them home I was so sure that they were Plymouth wheels that I jacked up my '36 to slip them on. No way though. These have 5'' bolt pattern, while Plymouths have 4 3/4". It was then that I looked for a "Motorwheel Corp stamp, but instead I found the "Budd" stamp. I've hunted around a little on the web since I started this thread and I'm coming to the conclusion that these might be sort of rare. I don't mean exotic or valuable rare, just lower production. Maybe International or Studebaker trucks. I suppose that the relatively wider bead width, 4 1/4", compared to the 3 1/4" Plymouth bead, make light trucks all the more likely a possibility. I have a feeling that the 5 X 5 measurement will make these of interest to the "Rat Rod " folks, if nothing else.

They Look Like MoPaR wheels & being BUDD that would be correct.

Chrysler & Desoto both had a 5on5 bolt pattern in the Middle 1930's .. Width seems narrow though.

You nee to make sure of the Bolt Circle cus how ever you are measuring seems wrong ...

1936 Plymouth is 5 on 4 1/2 bolt circle Stock

• Like 1

I've never owned a Chrysler or a De Soto, although I knew that their wheels looked somewhat different. I guess it was wrong of me to assume that they would have used Motorwheel Corp wheels or that they would use the same bolt pattern as Plymouth and Dodge. I looked in a '36 De Soto parts book that I have and was somewhat surprised to see that they offered two bead widths, 6.25" and 6.5". There was a note to include the car's serial number when ordering. Those widths are quite a bit wider than the 4.25" that my wheels are, so, DE SOTO, you were right on that point. Perhaps they made a mid season change to the bead width. There was no indication of who the manufacturer was, but that part didn't surprise me. 1940TORPEDO, I appreciate your interest in them. I've got some things to post on ebay soon. I'll probably list these in the next couple of weeks.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)

• 4 years later...