36 Buick Dip Stick

40mopar

Just picked up a 1936 Buick Century with the 320 CID engine.  Can someone tell me the correct length for the oil dip stick?

Looks like mine has been repaired and I want to make sure it's the correct length.

Thanks

Okay, according to my parts book part number 1326043 is ROD, crankcase oil gauge 1942 -60-70-90; H1942 -60 -70; 1946 -70 

Part number for 36 Century appears in parts book as 1288436 1936  -60 -80 -90 ( 10 3/16" overall ).

Seems mine is correct ( phew!! ) and yours is from a later motor.

Are you sure your Century hasn't had a 1942 engine installed?

Run the engine number past us, and we love photos of 1936 Century Buicks so how about posting a few.

Edited by 50jetback (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks very much for the info.  Sounds like I might have a bigger problem than I expected.

Just got this car, so don't have any parts books or manuals yet.  Initial inspections, unfortunately done after the sale, indicate a sledge-hammer mechanic has made several modifications, so who knows what I have.

I'll look for an engine number and try to post a few photos in a day or two.

Again, thanks for the help

Oh Boy, here we go.

Just got a '36 Buick shop manual, so went to check my car.  Turns out that with a bumper-bumper length of 207" and a tire/wheel size of 700-16, it's not a Series 60 Century, but a Series 80 Roadmaster.  Sound correct?

More confusing info:  engine serial number is "48589697."  No dashes or hyphens.

What the heck do I have?

Maybe this link will make it more clear for you:

http://www.theclassicbuick.com/1946_buick_ID.htm

The engine number appears to be a 1946 Series 70 Engine number to me. The dipstick part number also agrees with a 1946 Series 70 engine, which would seem to explain why your engine has that dipstick.

For practical purposes, it MAY be important to know whether the installed oil pan is a 1936 or 1946; an engine change MAY have used the 1936 oil pan for steering linkage clearance.  Are the oil capacities the same (don't have my books at hand)?  So one must calibrate whichever dipstick is used.  During an oil change, put enough new oil in to be 2 quarts low, then note the level achieved on whatever sticks you have.  Add one more quart and do the same, and again when it's full.

• Like 1

Gentlemen, my apologies for being a little dense about the engines numbers.  I think I understand now and agree that I must have a 1946 engine.  Good news is I have located a dip stick for a '46 engine, so that should put me almost back to apples and apples.

So, one more question.  If Grimy's theory about the oil pans possibly being switched is correct, is there any way to tell visually?

As always, thanks very much for the help.

Dale,

The dip stick I now have has been broken and mended.  That's how this all got started.  In an effort to determine the correct length of dip stick for my '36 Buick, the folks here advised me that I didn't have the original engine.  So now that I know that it's a '46 engine, I would still like a proper dip stick.

I realize that the brochures are not always 100% correct, but this is a photo of a 1936 engine from the 1936 Buick Brochure that I have. From my initial look at a parts book, the 1936 oil pan should be the same as 1937. This photo looks pretty close to what the oil pan on my 1937 engine looks like.  If someone can confirm that an actual 1936 engine does look like this, and if someone with a 1946 can confirm if the oil pan is different and post a photo, then I guess you can take a look at your engine and figure out which oil pan it has.

IMG_20160609_181845381_HDR.jpg

Do you have a direct link to a 1946 engine photo? When I tried that search earlier, It returned a bunch of Engine photos for similar years but in a few minutes of searching I did not locate a 1946 engine photo that showed the oil pan.