Number of registered Reattas

Barney Eaton

We have been getting information on the number of Reattas registered from R.L.Polk........I met a fellow that works there and owns a 1990 Driftwood convertible and he has been very nice in supplying this info.

The previous update was Nov 2014.......I have new info that is from Dec 2015 (13 months newer)

For 4 years of production there were 21,751 Reattas built as of the latest report the number surviving (registered) is 7659 ( 35% of the original build)

I have sent the information to Ron Gill the Reatta Newsletter editor and a breakdown by year and body style will be in the upcoming Newsletter.

The information from Polk is somewhat area specific, they have been sending the numbers by state, this time it is even broken down by city/county within the state.

An example.....Michigan win for convertibles...they have 140 of the 1990's and 41 of the '91's

Florida is next with 121/1990 and 20/1991, ,  then Ohio with 105/1990 and 10/1991

Michigan has a cluster, as you might expect around the Flint/Lansing area...7/1990 convertibles in Grand Blanc, 7 in Flushing, and 6 in Swartz Creek.....Genesee county has 31/1990 convertibles if my count is correct.

• Like 3

Do those results include Canada? If not, the number of surviving Reattas would be higher. Depending on the data, I wonder if it also accounts for cars that dealers have that wouldn't currently be registered - I know of one convertible a used car dealer has here for instance. 

The numbers are registered cars in the US.

So cars that are running dealer tags, cars in collections/museums, and the ones stashed away in garages are not in the count.

It does give us a snapshot of the different years also an idea of what is happening to the cars.

49 minutes ago, Barney Eaton said:

The numbers are registered cars in the US.

So cars that are running dealer tags, cars in collections/museums, and the ones stashed away in garages are not in the count.

It does give us a snapshot of the different years also an idea of what is happening to the cars.

Of my four Reattas, the Polo 19K  '91 and Vert'  55K  '90 have been in storage in the warehouse for 5 years without being registered. 

That's twice as many Reatta's  left than your information suggest. 

At least in my case. 

So, there could be many more Reatta's left.

Of the Reattas NOT registered, its safe to say most are probably sitting in a lot in Arizona and are good for parts only.

The @ 7,600 number is a far drop from the 12,000 I recall being talked about circa 2010.

Yet...Reattas still are respected and valued as much as they were 4,400 cars ago.

Barney,

As always, thanks for your efforts.  Reatta is too nice a car to be locked away in some garage, private collection or dealership, so I will play the Devil's Advocate.  Who cares about the hidden numbers, unless you have at least one registered and more squirreled away!! 

• Like 2

Hello Barney

Thanx for being a major player in all things Reatta. It appears to me that you are the one I should give my VIN number to to be included on the registry. 1G4EC11C5KB905154    Does that look like a legitimate number? I am copying off my insurance card.

I bought the car off Ebay for $7600 in June 2010. It had 24000 miles on it. I drove it to Seattle on its original tires where it resies today in Kent WA. It is a

daily driver and I am up to 75000 miles now. Its a 1989 maroon / burgandy. My favorite color combination. I just had to have it since my first Reatta, a '89

maroon / tan had 171000 and was starting to look a bit tired. Being a fairly good technician I especially like the touch screen and onboard diagnostics.

Way over the top. It takes a bit of patience to solve all the typical issues that come up but its a good hobby for a recently retired guy. All of your experience

as well as a lot of others has helped a great deal.

Thanx again

Dean Porter

• Like 1

Dean, don't forget that the All Buick Open car show is being held next Saturday in downtown Puyallup. Last year we had 5 or 6 Reattas there. I will be there with my white roadster as the purchaser hasn't completed the sale yet. Hope to see you there.

Greg

I think registration is $20 day of show. Bring a chair and a lunch unless you want to eat from one of the many food vendors at the Meeker Days event. Bring beer money if you want to hang out in the beer garden if that floats your boat. Parking comes with your registration. If you aren't showing your car, there is no charge but you won't be able to park with the cars at the show.  It is an amazing event for a Buick Only car show, 100-175 bucks of all ages, styles, & conditions.

Greg