Carburetor for '63 with a 401

JanZverina

52 minutes ago, JanZverina said:

I'm sure this question has been asked here numerous times, so I apologize in advance. Was the '63 Riviera with a 401 offered with either the Carter and Rochester carbs? I cannot be absolutely certain from reviewing the factory chassis manual.

Check this web site   http://automotivemileposts.com/riviera/prod1963riviera.html

Bob Bonto

Yes, either one could have come stock from the factory. I don't know how it was decided which car got which carb. What I can tell you is that an AFB is a better choice as far as performance & fuel mileage goes. As an original goes it would be best to find an original rather than an Edelbrock. But, the Edelbrock CAN be made to work properly.

That automotive mileposts website is filled with errors if you look at it.  Examples: for 1965 it shows a 1964 cast wheel cover as the 65 "chrome plated wheels."  On the '63 interior page it shows a custom door panel with no wood grain and the escutcheon is missing for the remote mirror joy stick.  Keep looking and you'll find others.  In other words, don't trust the sight or use it as a reference.  It says that the Rochester carb came on the 401, but either the Rochester 4GC or the Carter AFB came as standard equipment.  No rhyme or reason as to why.

Thanks Ed and all who responded. Much appreciated! Mine has a Rochester 4GC that I'd like to have rebuilt, and I just want to make sure it was offered as original equip. before I do so. I see some ads in the Bugle and Riview for rebuilding services, but if anyone has a specific recommendation as to a good rebuilder, especially near the West Coast, I'm all ears.

Many thanks, as always!