1-inch lowering springs

bodayguy

Has anyone done just a 1-inch lowering spring, say with the kind they sell from OPGI? Wondering if it's even worth it.

I don't like scraping (obviously) and my driveway probably can't handle anything beyond 2 inches.

About two years ago I needed to replace the old springs for my 1965. Instead of standard springs I chose these reproduction springs. I have been very satisfied with these springs for almost two years now. At the same time I installed also new KYB gas shocks (camouflaged black before installation) I don't remember the manufacturer but I guess that the seller does know.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Buick-Riviera-GS-factory-reproduction-spring-set-/330429441047?hash=item4cef212417:m:m3saQmO8lU2xk2upqn4Q0ew&vxp=mtr

Mikael

• 4 months later...

Thought everyone might be interested to see what my 64 looks like now with 1-inch lowering springs. I was going for a stock look, subtle improvement but with no worries about scraping on my angled entryway.

I could tell immediately the difference but it's tough to see in photos. My one before photo from the side doesn't highlight the change so I'm not posting it.

Special thanks to Ed Raner for suggesting Coil Springs Specialities. They did a great job.

Install was a pain for my mechanic too. He broke two of the bolts because even penetrating oil and heat failed to set them loose. And I think he installed at least one spring from the backside. Some surface rust on very original parts under there! 

I think a 2-inch drop would have been fine, too, and more obvious but I'm happy.

lowered1.jpg

lowered2.jpg

lowered3.jpg

• Like 1

I appreciate the photos here!

I've scanned as many "lets see lowered rivieras" themed threads as possible and it's oftentimes hard to tell what the owner did, who they ordered from, or how many inches they went lower.  And I don't know that I've ever seen anyone who did only the 1 inch.

At this point I would like to do a 1 or 2 inch drop all the way around.  My current (original) springs have sagged quite a bit in the front, I'm guessing as much as 1 inch.  The rear have some spacers added beneath the springs so the car sits high in the back but I'm not sure how much sagging has occurred back there.  My worry is that 1 inch all the way around or even 2 inch all the way around would give me a hot-rod rake.  And the rear are supposed to be pigtail style so I would not be able to cut in order to even things out.

I noticed in this ad, and maybe one or two other places online, that folks do lower in the rear and end up with a perfectly level car.

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5706572782.html

Can anyone offer any further insight?