researching a '36 80C

Guest somoflange

Guest somoflange

I'm researching a 1936 Roadmaster Phaeton 80C. I have been looking over the car carefully, and there is a lot about it that I really like, but I have some questions.  This is my first look into the wonderful world of prewar Buicks.

I'd like to try to determine of the color and interior are correct the car is black with red leather and red carpeting. The tag numbers are : Style: 36-4829  Trim: 274, Paint 370, body 530.

Overall condition is really good. there are a some fiddly things to do involving wiring, windows, finishing and the doors.

Is a wiring diagram or service information available?  This car has two side-mount spares  as well as one in the trunk, however the tools all seem to be missing. How hard is it to find these?

Can the front seat be adjusted in the Phaeton?

The Top appears to be good. I've seen photos of these cars where the rear window is split with chrome trim. what's the correct configuration? Also, are any of the the snaps  supposed to be visible?

Do the doors have adjusting rods?

Here is a silly question,  what's the correct procedure to put the top down/up?  it's not in the owners manual that I have.  I'd hate to break something the first time I try it. I see the removable window frames and Pillars & snaps- perhaps it's a two person job.

What are the 'Gotchas' particular to the 80C that I should look for?

Thanks for the great forum!

Trim code 274 = Tan Leather, available on model 80C

Paint code 370 = Imperial Black

Body 530 = 530th 4829 built

4829 = Fisher body style number (Buick model 80C)

4 = Buick

8 = Series 80 (Roadmaster)

29 = 4-door convertible phaeton with built-in trunk, 6-passenger

Weve own  the same car for about 2 years and still learning about it. Here's what I know about the car. The wiring diagram and service information are available. Tools seam to be hard to find. The Front Seat is not adjustable. The correct rear window is split. Yes the snaps are visible. I've not found the correct procedure on putting the top up and down but been told that it's more that one person job thou. The center pillars do remove but the Windows frames don't. Does this car have the rear windows Flippers ? These follow the Windows up and down. My car was missing these tool me about a year to find some. Most broke and were discarded. 

I hope this is some help.

Bud 

SOMOFLANGE.  I would suggest to you that if you plan on keeping the 80C buy a shop manual for 1936. Most all the info you will need will be in it. Did you look in the tool box,(under the front seat cushion) for the tools? The tools are all available at local flea markets, including the distinctive jack. The vertical bar in the rear window is correct for a 1936 & 1937 Roadmaster. Lowering the top is quite simple, owning mine many years the top was down a lot. Unhook the front bow above the windshield making sure it is free, then unsnap the top from the frame rails, get into the back seat , unbutton the rear curtain and clear the top well . Standing on the back floor, behind the front seat, pick up the top and start folding the irons while moving it to the top well. Then go to the rear of the car and pull the excess canvas back to prevent chafing, refold neatly and place on the stacked irons, add the boot. Reverse to put it up. I always kept a spare tire in the trunk(not original to a sidemounted car) the side mounts are quite difficult to uncover and remove along side of the road, however I never used the trunk spare. Just lucky I guess. I sold extra wheels just for this purpose. Good luck on your purchase and use of a great Buick automobile. Bob

Guest somoflange

Thanks for the info! The interior is red- not tan, but is in excellent shape. The car is quite original except for recent paint and the interior.

I found a shop manual. I think I should seek out a Fisher body manual as well. Thanks for the tips on the top. the car is transformed with the top down! I'm looking forward to some warmer weather and a ride.

Guest somoflange

Now that I've decided that this car is staying, I'm starting to get to work and look at a few little things.  My Driver's side door is kicking out a bit on the bottom. I see what looks like an adjusting rod screw on the front side of the door. will tightening this help true the door? the wood inside the door looks good.

The nuts and bolts on chrome front segments of the top appear to have been replaced with new bolts with nylock nuts. they seem out or place and it looks like they are probably larger than the originals. What are the correct fasteners for these? Perhaps that info would be found in the body manual?

Thanks!