2nd gen antenna questions

rocky5517

Time to send the antenna out for rebuild, but why do I see 4 wires coming out of motor ( black, white, red and green) but the red and green have been cut. The connector looks like it can only take 2 wires so where do the red and green go? Manual says "blue is up and green is down" but I don't even see a blue.

Also, what the heck is a "wheel static collector"?

post-128204-0-37032500-1457673806_thumb.

Part two of your question.

Wheel static collector was used by Buick to stop static noise coming through the radio through the front wheel hubs. It was made off brass and made contact between the front stub axle and the bearing cap. Pictures below.

Mine had fallen apart and was making a high pitched squealing on LHS so I removed them both.

post-155932-0-99055900-1457689416_thumb.

post-155932-0-70725800-1457689434_thumb.

Sam,

I suspect the antenna is from another model or perhaps a different motor was fitted to the original mast. Probably from a car that the antenna was controlled by the radio and not a separate switch.

Noted the butt splice connectors in pic which Buick did not use.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

I agree with Jason's comments -

Buick power antennas only had two connections - they were black 'n white, one for 'up', and the other for 'down'.

Power was applied to the switch, and the antenna was grounded with a special spring steel clip that secured the top antenna escutcheon to the fender.

Sam - you should look for the correct Riviera power antenna, and have that one rebuilt (...if needed).

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

If I have my (apparently wrong) antenna rebuilt and re-install it, I wonder if it will work? Now I see why someone cut off the two extra wires. The existing antenna certainly fits properly. 

WANTED TO BUY  one grounding clip for 67 Riv antenna

WANTED TO BUY- proper electric antenna for 67 Riv/ I think I need the grounding clip. I'll buy a good antenna, or one that needs re-building. By the way, if previous owner installed this wrong antenna but didn't know about the grounding clip, seems to me a perfectly rebuilt antenna would still not work right. Correct?

When we removed it, it looked like it was mounted perfectly; one bolt down inside the wheel well,but it looked to mate perfectly to the underside of the fender. I disconnected the antenna lead and my friend, after removing the bolt, wiggled it out. The estucheon is still in place, on the fender.

Take a good look at the escutcheon and see if it's not held in place by a clip.  It takes a pair of pliers to get a good grip on it but you pull it away from the escutcheon.  If the escutcheon is held on by a clip,  you already have the one you're asking for.  You should be able to get the fender down to bare metal where the antenna goes.  I know that on the 1st generation cars, there's an access panel in the inner fender that allows you to get to the antenna.  There's a hold down bolt that connects the two.  Grounding the antenna on those cars is done by grounding the case to the inner fender with the attachment bolt.  

If the clip mentioned is in any way isolated from the case of the antenna motor, it's not going to work as a ground.  If it's what I'm thinking it is, it clips the metal part of the escutcheon to the fender for security but there's a plastic insulator that would prevent that from working as a ground.  You don't want to ground the mast; you want to ground the case of the motor.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

The DC motor for a 2nd generation Riviera power antenna gets chassis ground from the metal bracket that is bolted to the base of the DC motor housing and the metal, right hand, inner fender well, and from the escutcheon mounting clip.

Ed is absolutely correct - the spring steel clip holds the antenna fender escutcheon securely in place in the top of the fender, but the antenna mast housing in turn, is keyed to fit a slot in the chrome plated escutcheon, (...or antenna fender bezel) which in turn, supposedly grounds the entire antenna housing to the top of the metal fender via the spring steel retainer clip.

. . . it's been a while since I overhauled a power antenna, so please bear with me ! 

. . . don't you just love using the word "escutcheon" ?

Edited by 68RIVGS (see edit history)

Unsure if it affects radio reception yet as car is now immobile. I certainly had ok AM with one side broken. It will be a goer in the next few weeks so I can report back. I did have to fill the small hole in the bearing cap to stop dirt getting in and grease coming out. Good luck on the antennae.

• 5 years later...