37 Dictator Gas Tank.....What to do?

Guest Redbox

Guest Redbox

Here is the mess I have. I sent the tank from the 37 Dictator to have a Renu done on it. The attached photo is what they found. There was so much brazing there are now stress cracks and they didn't even fix all the holes. They said the best thing would be to:

1.  find another tank in better condition

2. find a bottom that they could put on my top.

From reading all the posts I could also use a new tank for a 41 chevy.

Ideas?

I will also be in York the first two days.

Thanks,

Steve

post-155630-0-55752000-1457184193_thumb.

I would suggest, that if you had a good tinsmith shop in your area, ask them if they can build a tank from galvanized steel. I had a tank for my '36 Dodge made by a local smith with rolled and soldered seams like original. He put in a baffle and all the mounting structure. the soldered seams eliminate rusty welded seams. Cost about $350 then.Nothing like a new tank!

Guest Redbox

If you decide to use the 41 Chevy tank I have some pictures of the installation I did.

I saw the ones that you posted in 2010. Do you have more?

How has it worked?

Thanks,

Steve

I used the 41 Chevy tank. It took some modification, and the filler neck is a different size so had to work with that as well.

The modification was in the frame center. Not a big deal at the time, as it had the body off and easy to get to and work with. If you need pictures, I am not sure I took any then, but will look if needed.

I didn't remember that I had posted those.  I'm not sure if that was all I had.   PM your email and I will send all I have and can take more if need be.

It is working fine.  I did have trouble with the rubber flexible pipe deteriorating but it was replaced by the vendor and have had no issue since.  I did learn that one should use a cork gasket and aviation gasket sealer rather than neoprene and to not over tighten the screws on the sending unit.

I just checked and found I have 9 pictures of the tank and possibly more.

Edited by SMB (see edit history)

I am happy that you mentioned the sender unit gasket.

The neoprene gaskets sold by vendors are too hard and there were copper gaskets around the screws.

Leaks around that area causes gas fumes in the car itself.

Robert Kapteyn

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?90498-Strong-Fuel-Smell&highlight=gas+fumes

Edited by rbk (see edit history)