1936 Hupp Interior

Working on my Hupp D618 Interior

Before and after pictures of the door panels.  Using 1/16" ABS plastic from Home Depot and 3/16" vinyl top foam to make the pattern.  Getting the right amount of spray adhesive down into the groove it the trick.  Too much or too little and the fabric won't stick.  So far I've made two test panels that look pretty good....Next up I'll use the expensive wool fabric from SMS auto.

post-147860-0-89112400-1456697564_thumb.

post-147860-0-03415700-1456697581_thumb.

post-147860-0-24446200-1456697635_thumb.

post-147860-0-45066900-1456697711_thumb.

I used two layers, one plastic for structure and the second foam for the pattern,  so that the heads of the push in Christmas trees wouldn't show through.  The original metal clips were staked to the backside of the cardboard  panel and couldn't be reused

I used two layers, one plastic for structure and the second foam for the pattern,  so that the heads of the push in Christmas trees wouldn't show through.  The original metal clips were staked to the backside of the cardboard  panel and couldn't be reused

OK, I understand now. How did you make such clean cuts in the foam?

OK, I understand now. How did you make such clean cuts in the foam?

After gluing the foam to the ABS plastic with spray adhesive, I drew the pattern on the foam with a straight edge and pen.   I used  one of those disposable knifes with the snap off blades....I suppose an exacto would work just as well.  I made a bunch of test pieces before trying an entire door panel.   I'll be making the final panels once the wool material arrives.

Nice job! In the long run, you'd be better off using cotton padding instead of foam, the foam will deteriorate and the cotton won't......foam being sold now has a "life" of about 10 years, there used to be an additive used in foam production to increase life, but it was shown to cause cancer and the gub'mint banned it....