Barrett Jackson Auction

Joe in Canada

I think most folks just assume a "collector" car is an expensive car. Everyone thought we were rich when we had a Model A Ford sitting in the driveway when I was a kid.

Once again you have a good additional insight, Matt.

All the publicity about high-priced cars can't help,

but there could be much more to everyone's

assumption of high value.

I think that, in recent decades, this happens in nearly

ALL lines of collectibles.  Someone inherits a coin collection

and thinks he's funded his retirement, yet the collection

turns out to be worth $500.  He doesn't realize that common

old Indian Head cents are worth maybe $1.00.  In the same way,

people think their antique this-or-that is worth hundreds.

I think that decades ago, in my parents' era, the general public

figured little value for many of the dusty cast-offs in their barns and attics. 

At that time, estate sales were probably great for antique collectors.

Now it's the opposite, with people tending to assume unrealistically high values.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Cars really are expensive. I think "most" people expect a payment book attached to anything they buy. Some don't even own their cars. My Daughter leases hers. The idea of having an extra car for a toy is for the rich. A lot of you just don't know how rich you are because the term as been politically skewed.

That $5,000 to $10,000 cheap collector car is way out of the grasp of, say, a 30 year old.

Think about where the funds for you car or cars came from and where the opportunity for the 30 to 40 year old fledgling can duplicate a similar source of discretionary cash. Not the exceptions, the everyday guys whom graduated from a High School, did military time, a little secondary learning of various levels, and got a job. When half the children born in New York State are born into poverty and people think a minimum wage job is a career path, having a collector car is a rich man's hobby. It always has been.

Post WWII guys chipped in their money to raise the $25 to $50 for their old cars. I had three close friends whom did that in the '40's.

I have a friend who owns a small restaurant that is open for breakfast and lunch for contractors. On Wednesday's she has a $1.00 hamburger special so people in the neighborhood can go out once a week for a treat. It's tough for the young people.

A few years ago I did a pretty intensive study on people's discretionary money, mainly because it's where MY car money comes from. The average US citizen has about $50 per month, and that is from the low to the high; about 8 years for some to get that Lincoln.

We, as car hobbyists, are the last of the rich; from a time when the streets were paved in gold and opportunity was... unregulated...... for all.

• Like 1

Cars really are expensive.... .

That $5,000 to $10,000 cheap collector car is way out of the grasp of, say, a 30 year old....

When half the children born in New York State are born into poverty and people think a minimum wage job is a career path... 

Bernie, it all depends.  Many parts of the U. S. A. are much

more prosperous than New York State.  (I have relatives in

upstate New York, and I agree that potential there is limited.)

I'd say it depends on each state's business climate, but

let's not get into any political discussion.

You might realize that new graduates in fields that are

in demand may be beginning at $50,000 and more per year.

There is actually a shortage of people in computer-related fields.

Long-term well-being depends partly on how one spends his money.

Always a saver,  I bought my first antique car within a month of college

graduation.  And if one lives modestly, such a graduate can save 50% of his

take-home pay.  Much depends on how industrious a person is

throughout school, whether he or she gets a degree in a needed field,

and how well he saves and invests.  There's no free ride to happiness.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have to agree with John, not wanting to turn this into a political discussion, but I have only a high school diploma and bought my first "collector car", a 1965 Mustang in 1977. It's what I cut my teeth on, but back then it was just used car with a dented rear bumper and some fender rust. After that a basket case (literally) 1968 Triumph motorcycle. Again a trashed used bike.

Back then I bought what interested me an what I could afford but I didn't get bombarded with over the top cars on TV either.

Then of course marriage and kids and priorities changed for a couple of decades :-) and the car and bike were sold but the interest never left. The last decade and a half and I'm involved in the hobby again, now I have the time, more than the money. Yes I have more money than 40 years ago but I'm far from rich.

And more money means I can buy more than just a used car to play with, there are oppurtunities out there in jobs and cars.