door jamb switch drivers side

waltmail

If I open the driver's door no cabin light illuminates. If I place tranny in gear with door open, warning pops up on screen. Wouldn't this indicate that the door jamb switch is operative? If I open the passenger door, the cabin overhead light turns on. Any ideas?

Does that swich just pop out of the pillar by prying or is there a trick. I do not want to force and break it.

P S  my e mail instant notification does not work. Any ideas on that one?

I'm not completely sure, but isn't there 2 switches per door?  one in the front and one in the rear of each door?  The front switches just control the courtesy light (guessing), and the other one does everything else.

somebody else who knows can chime in

There are 3 switches in each door. The one you can see at the front of the jam, one you can't see that detects door ajar status and one in the exterior door handle to detect when the handle is lifted. Each serves a specific purpose.  NONE of them directly control ANYTHING!  They are all inputs to the BCM which in turns controls the interior lights as well as door ajar messages

The door jam switch IS removable after removing a single screw.

Edited by drtidmore (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

There are 3 switches in each door. The one you can see at the front of the jam, one you can't see that detects door ajar status and one in the exterior door handle to detect when the handle is lifted. Each serves a specific purpose.  NONE of them directly control ANYTHING!  They are all inputs to the BCM which in turns controls the interior lights as well as door ajar messages

The door jam switch IS removable after removing a single screw.

Okay screw is out. Is there now a trick. It ain't coming out. I am sure to break it if I am missing something?

Passenger side switch works just fine. I can actually hear the relay when that door jamb switch is toggled and the lights work with that side.

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

You need to gently pry at the bottom of the switch slightly and then tilt the switch while pulling.  There are a couple of small tabs at the top of the switch that engage the metal of the car jam but they are short and once you have the screw out, tilting the switch out is sufficient for those to clear.  There is a rubber gasket between the switch and the door metal that likely is making it seem like the switch is firmly attached, but again, once the screw is out, just gently pry at the bottom of the switch.  Once you get the switch out, you will need to pull on the wiring until you find the connector which is located 9" or so past the switch itself. 

• Like 1

You need to gently pry at the bottom of the switch slightly and then tilt the switch while pulling.  There are a couple of small tabs at the top of the switch that engage the metal of the car jam but they are short and once you have the screw out, tilting the switch out is sufficient for those to clear.  There is a rubber gasket between the switch and the door metal that likely is making it seem like the switch is firmly attached, but again, once the screw is out, just gently pry at the bottom of the switch.  Once you get the switch out, you will need to pull on the wiring until you find the connector which is located 9" or so past the switch itself. 

Thanks. I shall pry some more.

Thanks. I shall pry some more.

Okay successful extraction. They have only been in there since 1989. Pulled both sides and swapped them out. It's the switch. Now to find a replacement. Anyone have one for sale?

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)

I have the DOOR AJAR light on and your post prompted me to pull out the manual and do some research.

In my case the manual is not extremely specific about were the door ajar switch is but by looking in the section on the doors I found it on the latch assembly.

Since the Reatta and Riviera are very closely related, one could find all the switches on Rivieras.....and there is a good chance the Cadillac Eldorado and Seville also use the same switches.

I intend to look next time at the pick n pull

I might add that before getting a couple of spare door jam replacement switches from Jim Finn, I took my defective driver's side switch apart and discovered water corrosion, but with some careful cleaning realized that there was likely sufficient contact area remaining to make it work.  With the contacts cleaned, I applied a generous amount of dielectric grease to block out further water intrusion and then re-installed the switch.  The switch was still working fine when many months later I replaced it with one of the switches from Jim.  Just thought I would pass this along as the supply of used door jam switches will continue to dwindle as time passes. 

• Like 1

Apparently my door is also a jar. The switch that controls the interior lights works fine. I dont think its the switch in the handle. Where is the 3rd switch? How is it repaired/replaced? 

There is a switch plunger on the rear pillar of the door jamb.

• 1 month later...
Guest george1861
How about posting a pic of the switch in place. My door is a glass container also.

• 4 months later...

I'm reviving this thread because my 1990 Riviera has decided that the Door Ajar light should be on all the time.  Before I get I into the doors and check out these switches, I have a question for anyone who has had this same problem.  I get into to the car, fasten my seat belt, and start the car; the Door Ajar light does not come on until I put the car in gear.  Is this consistent with what you experienced?

Thanks, 

Ed