1921 Studebaker Light Six Info

TerryB

A local weekly newspaper publication I receive has a 1921 Studebaker light six five pass touring car for sale for an asking price of $15,000. The ads in this paper do not include photos so actual condition is unknown. The ad says the car runs and drives fine, has a maroon and black paint job and black interior.

Although I am unable to purchase this car, I was wondering how a car like this compared to others from this era and if the price is reasonable as It seems to be priced in the same area as a model t Ford might be. If anyone is interested in this auto I would be glad to give you the contact info.

It's been a cold and snowy day here in southeast PA so what better way to get ones mind off it by looking at ads for great old cars!

Terry

Without even photos to go by, there's really no telling.   It could be a decent amature restoration (best case) or something cobbled just to make it run.  Model T prices vary widely based on condition (of course) but also by year.  Early T, 09 - 12 are relatively expensive, 13 - 16 generally somewhat less so and once Ford got rid of all the brass 17 - 27 (and far more made), prices drop further.  My guess is that a '21 Stude touring car would tend to be priced closer to Model T of the later era assuming similar condition.  I didn't research this so I could very well be wrong but I think the T has a broader market because just about any part you might need is readily available.  Can't say that for the Stude and I'm sure that limits the potential market for it. 

The Studebaker Light Six was one of the more popular cars of its time - nearly 200,000 were built in the period 1920 to 1924 before it was redesigned to become the Standard Six and then the Dictator - and there are quite a few survivors.  Like the Ford T the standard colour for the light Six was all black whereas the bigger models were maroon or blue. With its 207 cubic inch six it is a bigger, more powerful and more roomy car than a Ford T though heavier by about 1000lb.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

The model t Fords are certainly fine cars but if I were in the market for an early 1920s car I would look at other brands like the Stude just to have something other than a t. That's what got me interested in the Stude and Similar cars of the era. I've never owned anything that old so it would be an "adventure" to have something like it.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Being a Light Six owner, I figured I would comment.  If you look at the production numbers in 1921, Ford built 971,000 Model Ts, Chevrolet built 131,000 cars, Buick built 83,000 cars, Dodge built 81,000 cars and Studebaker built 65,000 cars of which less than half were Light Sixes.  So while 200,000 total built Light Sixes from 1920-1924 sounds like a lot, it was a much smaller volume than the other big producer's models and a mere pittance compared to the 14.7 million Model Ts built during its production run. Additionally, the Fords had a lot of aftermarket companies making parts to keep them running for a long time.  Even today, you can build an entire Model T from aftermarket parts.  So you can find a very rotted Model T and easily turn it into a decent car.  Although not as prolific as the Ford part replicators, there are a number of people making reproduction parts for the Chevys, Buicks and Dodges.  Try looking for Light Six specific reproduction parts....good luck! You may find a couple of rubber door bumpers.  If you don't find a decent intact car, you will be making your own parts or modifying.

The Light Six was the basic car of the Studebaker line, so most of them were driven until dead, then scrapped.  Other larger and luxurious models were more apt to be saved. And considering that a fully restored Light Six might be worth $25K, why restore that model when you can sink the same $40K into restoration into a more desirable car so they are less apt to have a high end restoration done. I would guess that less than 1% of these cars survived, so while not extremely rare you hardly see them at car shows.

My estimate on prices:

Rusty car that has been outside - $500-$750 for parts

Survivor but needs restoration to be worthy of driving - $2500-$4000

Survivor and driveable - $5000-$7500

Amateur restoration - $9000-14000

Older high end restoration - $14000-$20000

Museum quality car - $25000

The Sportster and Touring cars are typically worth more than the enclosed cars. But like any car, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

My edit: Keep in mind the 1921 model still used a composite body of wood and steel so you need to make sure the wood structure is in decent shape.  It wasn't until 1923 that they went to an all steel body from the Budd Company.

Scott

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The light six was Studebaker's lowest priced car but don't let that fool you. At $1485 it cost 3 times as much as a Ford. All popular priced cars then were 4 cylinders, even a low priced 6 cylinder was verging on the luxury class, certainly a medium price car.

Compare today a 4 cylinder Kia Rio to a V6 Buick.

Studebaker was the oldest vehicle maker in the world, having started with wagons in 1852 and changing to cars around 1911. They were a popular, reliable car but not one that stood out of the crowd. They were not the fanciest, or the cheapest, or the fastest, or the rarest, or the most anything. Just a good practical reliable car.