1914 Maxwell Literature Help Sought

hddennis

A while back I pulled this picture off an eBay auction  because I had never seen this body style before. I stupidly forgot to record what the literature was. Does anyone recognize this picture and know or have the literature it was published in?

Howard Dennispost-78299-0-70639300-1448981939_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

In 1914, the Maxwell 25 Runabout was offered with either a pickup bed or a turtle back body. For an extra $50, you could get both bodies and swap them out at your will. I believe that is what you have here, with the pickup body. I have an electronic copy of an advertisement that explains all of this. This particular photo looks like the type shown in the various sales brochures. I don't have that particular one.

Andrew

Howard,

Try this link to page 6 of the Williston ND newspaper (Williston Graphic) for May 14, 1914.  You will see that the dealer ad refers to the two options as the "turtle deck" and the "express deck".  If the link does not work, send me a PM with your address and I will e-mail you the image.

Regards.

Andrew

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn88076270/1914-05-21/ed-1/seq-6/

Andrew, thanks for the assist. I was able, with the help of my son-in-law, to capture this image and thanks to you will be able to pass it on to a fellow who may own a later version of this option that seems to be only printed in your add and no where else. Just when everyone says " they NEVER made one of those" turns out they did!

Howard Dennis

There is not as much in print on Maxwell as for some other brands in that era. I think they definitely cut the advertising budget in 1914 for whatever reason. This particular find was very informative, and note that it was placed by a dealer, not by the manufacturer. Kudos to google and other organizations who are preserving some of these old documents in digital form, and making them available for free to 'the masses'. I am glad it was helpful to you.

Best regards,

Andrew

• 4 weeks later...

Since Maxwell did not have a production pickup cab, any pickup from this era is going to be "converted" from some other body from company inventory. My own 1917 Light Delivery was either roadster or touring sheet metal "converted" by the factory to suit a low production need.

Howard Dennis

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...