1931 Chrysler CD8 Dash Gauges 6V-Modern Options

Gunsmoke

My 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster barnfind had been stripped of its dash, including all the dash munted equipment in the 50's and 60's. I have constructed asuitable dash matching the original design, and am looking for either a set of original dash instruments, or alternatively, advice on where to find a suitable modern set of gauges. Components must work with a 6 volt system.

The pictures show an original factory photo of dash as well as the dash I have made for the car. I await making holes in dash until I have settled on instrumentation. The missing pieces are approximately 2" gauges for Fuel, Ammeter, Oil Pressure, and Temperature, and a 3" Speedometer, all in white face (I may settle on black face if necessary). Sizes mentioned are approximate, original gauges may have been slightly smaller. In addition, there were 2 chrome or nickle plated dash lights and an igintion switch. Finally there were 2 pull cables for throttle and choke.post-108496-0-52679800-1448748838_thumb.post-108496-0-78241000-1448748879_thumb. If anyone has a possible usable set of gauges or lights, let me know. If anyone has advice on 6V alternatives (Stewart Warner for example) available in the market place, let me know. Same for dash lights.

I would like to get the holes cut for these pieces before I weld dash in place.  

This might be an interesting solution.  These are electronic and work off GPS (speedo) and provided sensors, but have the look and size you are after.  The advantage is not having to use a speedo cable and capillary temp gauge tube. I don't care for the electronic odometer, but everything else seems to fit.  Another option is to find a Mopar dash of the right era with the gauges intact and hope they all work.  Best of luck.  My dash was all good and working except for the temp gauge which was replaced with one with the wrong face before I bought the car.  I did manage to find a used one that will have to have a new printed face applied.  I also found a NOS Amp gauge that i bought just in case.  They are very hard to find.

Taylormade, you probably meant to include a directive to a supplier? I see several companies that sell sets of 5 white faced gauges for circa $500-$600, not sure if any are suited to 6V system. If I don't have any luck finding good vintage 6 volts ones, then I will contact them regarding what they have. I do have a 2" NOS 6V fuel gauge and 2" ammeter that match (both are SW), and may simply keep looking for a matching oil and temp gauge (they don't need electronics), and a 3"+ speedometer. These are black faced, but I can always put new white face decals I guess if I want the same original look. My car was so far from original when I got it that I'm not going to be fussy about every detail in rebuilding, will complete dash as original layout, but if gauges are black faced and slightly different diameters, that will have to do I guess. I am going to a local scrap yard tomorrow to see if they have a large box of gauges stripped from cars. I see a full set on eBay over the weekend, pulled out of a 1968 Chevy Nova, complete with the dash housing, virtually identical to what I need. Was tempted to buy it and go from there.  

Hi Gunsmoke,

Australia had a lot of Chryslers, it is worth contacting some of their clubs and see if anyone down under can help you with parts, try googling Australian Chrysler clubs and look at ebay.com.au on a regular basis, quite a lot of stuff comes up on ebay Australia that you wont see on ebay.com. Also look at chrysler-restorers-sa.org.au the chrysler restorers club of Australia website.

Regards Viv

I bet a guy could find a transformer of some kind to make those 12 volt gauges work with a 6 volt supply.

Maybe Radio Shack or the street rod suppliers.

How about the old VW guys? Maybe they have some answers on this.

Maybe a call to SW  or Auto Meter would give you some ideas. Who knows, maybe their gauges would work on 6 volts. (probably not the volt meter, I don't think they go down that low)

I certainly understand your reasons for wanting to run the car on 6 volts, but when guys convert to 12 volts the biggest problem is the gauges. Seems redundant to go the other way.

Checkeds a couple of large junk/salvage yards today, nothing. They for the most part only have cars and parts from past 20 years, only dash stuff they have are typical electronic clusters, nothing with individual gauges anymore. I will for now browse eBay for what I need. Problem with buying one at a time is trying to get stuff that matches. Some sellers list their gauges as 2", or 2&1/16" and 2&1/8", and I don't know if those are hole size, overall diameter, or what. So I guess I'll have to ask each seller a question. Does anyone know if all SW gauges of this general size were the same dimensions, i.e. the ammeter I have is for a 2" hole, and about 2&3/16" overall diameter.

This is the one I was talking about - sorry I forgot to include it.

http://www.autometer.com/antique-beige-5-pc-kit-box-w-elec-speedo.html

This has a mechanical odometer.

http://www.autometer.com/antique-beige-5-pc-kit-box-w-mech-speedo.html

Edited by Taylormade (see edit history)

Thanks TM, I'll check out a dealer for these in my area. Interestingly, the notes indicate the speedometer is 3" diameter, which would be ideal, but proportionaly from the image, it appears closer to 4" diameter. I'll have to contact the company for clarification. Several companies make this combination with white face, I like the idea of beige/off white, looks more vintage.