63 hood ornament

petelempert

Noticed in the recent Review that CARS now has the 63 only flat dime sized tri-shield hood ornament. This has been unavailable for a long time. Just ordered one today. Not cheap, but where else you going to get one? I have high hopes. Figured some of you guys like me had almost given up hope and would want to know. PRL

PO did a cutout on the hood spear and attempted to put on a Lincoln Continental hood emblem - now go figure!!! Now the original spear is useless but the dime sized tri-shield hood ornament is still good. Found a 1963 hood spear replacement but someone has removed the tri-shield emblem.

My dilemma is; 1) how do I remove the original tri-shield emblem without damaging it? and 2) what is best way to attach it to the replacement hood spear ....i.e. adhesive- what kind..glue, double back tape, etc? 

Thanks for any ideas/help.

Anyone need a Continental hood emblem???

Edited by DrP (see edit history)

Sounds like you created a Rivicoln or a Contiriv. The lengths we go to fill the void at the front of the hood are crazy. In my case, I took a tri-shield graphic off the web, printed it on heavy stock, trimmed it to size, laminated it and glued it into the spear. It looks damn good and better than an empty hole but rather flat. I'm hoping the CARS version is brighter and has some dimension to it. 

As far as getting the old one out, no idea how to do it without wrecking it. I plan on using 3M trim adhesive to put the new one in. 3M also makes a double sided outdoor tape that might work too. PRL

Guest LostBoy

I would love to have one. Is this a cars exclusive they had made up or does anybody know of anyone else selling it. I have looked around but haven't seen it anywhere else

• 2 weeks later...

3M Super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive #08001 black. Careful, it's some really gooey monkey snot. Have a rag with some 3M adhesive remover in hand when you apply and watch out for the stringy whiskers that come off the tip of the tube. Otherwise, it can wreak havoc on your paint. That said, this stuff holds forever. PRL

J-I was worried about the same thing. I expected the emblem to be clear plastic on the back side, but when it arrived I noticed it has a moulded black plastic back, almost like a cup. I figured the black adhesive wouldn't hurt the black back piece. So far, no discoloration or bleed thru. PRL

I received mine this week from CARS Inc. and installed it with no problem, but I have a question for owners out there with original '63s when it comes to this: The repro emblem is nice. It has a flat face but my question is, was the original emblem flat or was it slightly domed? I'm just curious as to what came from the factory way back in '63.
Kind regards, 

I'm glad Pete's project turned out great.......Generally speaking when attaching this type of part the recommended

adhesive would be clear silicone. It bonds like crazy when it dries and you don't have to worry about it attacking the back of the emblem and bleeding through to the front.