Exporting an automobile

just me

You will need to find a shipping broker and customs will require a title or registration.  Start by calling a shipping broker in the port of you choice to start finding out what all you need.  Since you are in the UK, you will need to talk to the shipping broker and the buyer should be talking to US Customs.  Not complicated but it need to be done right from the start.  US Customs may want proof that the car was originally sold in the US to avoid the buyer having to pay customs duty on the car.

The recent changes in U.S. export regulations have really put a damper on my project / parts car purchases. I live in Canada about 5 miles away from the U.S. border  just above Seattle WA. 

Up until several years ago there was no interest from U.S. customs regarding cars / projects/ parts cars . I would just show up with my latest  U.S. sourced "treasure" at Canada customs, pay sales tax , be issued a import form which would be necessary if the vehicle was ever roadworthy again and be on my way.

Then it became necessary for intact cars , driveable or not to be inspected at the U.S. side of the border and a title had to be produced. This is often impossible to do with many parts cars so the only option was to store the heap on the U.S. side and dismantle it into 3 or 4 loads of parts and bring them across into Canada in 3 or 4 separate trips. Generally a pain in the butt, however it was a work around for the title problem.

Now as of Jan 2015 or so not only do you need a title for any self propelled vehicle, but all the paperwork must be handled by a customs broker on both the U.S. and Canadian side,  with the normal quite hefty fee. And the threat of a substantial fine if the process is not followed.

This would be quite understandable if I was importing a $40,000.00 69 Camaro SS, but makes my typical $1000.00 MGB, or $3-4000.00 Lotus Europa "field find" dead in the water.  My wife thinks I already have enough "junk" and has no problem with the new rules. I find them a real P.I.T.A. when I make my yearly quest to the Portland swap meet and other Pacific North West events. I had to walk away from a K code 66 Mustang rolling shell at Portland last year. It was priced to sell but I knew the Border would be a major expense that would turn a great buy into expensive hassle. I found the experience a major frustration but how can you justify fees that will come close to doubling the cost of your purchase. Needless to say someone else went home with the Stang. 

And just try to get any information from U.S. customs, I have a couple of times with the reply more or less each time being "take your paperwork to your broker and leave it with them"  .

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

As you are exporting the car the ball is in the buyer's hands.

I've shipped cars and tractors over seas with NO trouble whatsoever.

The shipping agent sends a truck or trailer, I get the vehicle in position or drive it on, give the hauler a Bill of Sale and BYE BYE.......  :D

Couldn't be easier.

Greg

I'm bringing a 53 Fleetwood from Massachusetts into Canada this weekend.  Not much has changed really.  You still need to have a copy of the title and bill of sale at the border a minimum of 72 hours before export.  The only difference is that you now need a Shippers Export Declaration (SED) with an Internal Transaction Number (ITN).  I found a company that is a subsidiary of Livingston International (customs broker) that takes car of filing the paperwork for you and getting your SED with the ITN on it.  If you're importing as a business, you'll need a full-service broker, but, importing as an individual, these guys do it up for you.

They're found at www.autoexports.us

You fill out a form online with your information, passport number, title number, make, model, year and VIN of the vehicle to be exported from the US and the seller's name, address and phone number.  The fee is $75 that you pay online.  They will send you a power of attorney form to fill out.  Print it, sign it, fax or email it back along with a copy of the title and bill of sale.  They sent me my SED in less than 24 hours.  I had a couple questions, was able to call and speak with someone.  Really quite painless.

This process is mandatory for all self-propelled vehicles leaving the US now.

Thanks for the information. $75.00 sounds too good to be true. I have been burned for  more than that by UPS on a simple delivery of a $300.00 or so part from the U.S.

The other thing I am sometimes involved in is old racing cars. They would have not been issued a title in the first place, or if a production car based virtually never have a title at this point in time. and often don't even have a vin anymore. Once again my attempts at finding information fell on deaf ears at customs 'what do you mean it doesn't have a title" like I was trying to do something illegal. 99 % of the parts cars , project cars , race cars , dirt bikes etc not to mention many pre war or older projects I encounter have no title, can they never be processed ?

Anyway it's good to hear that the straightforward  case of a vehicle that has a title is not that expensive a proposition.

Best regards, Greg in Canada