Name this Hershey mystery part

greenie

Guest AlCapone

Wayne, you wouldn't go after leftover soggy French fries?  

Neither would I!

I could see myself picking up a box of magazines

laid on top of or beside the bin, though!

r

Yes me too, that is an entirely different scenario! Wayne

All the trash can picking brings back memories from when my son was young. He loved roaming the field looking for discarded treasures. never really found anything even worth hauling home, but we did because they were his finds. The one specific memory was the year we were getting packed on Sunday morning and he comes running back to tell us he found a whole pile of bread trays stacked with nothing around so he assumed trash. I told him to take this wagon and bring a load over.  Luckily the food vendor that had left them stacked to be picked up first thing in the morning showed up before he had hauled very many and accepted his apology for the mistake.

Guest AlCapone

All the trash can picking brings back memories from when my son was young. He loved roaming the field looking for discarded treasures. never really found anything even worth hauling home, but we did because they were his finds. The one specific memory was the year we were getting packed on Sunday morning and he comes running back to tell us he found a whole pile of bread trays stacked with nothing around so he assumed trash. I told him to take this wagon and bring a load over.  Luckily the food vendor that had left them stacked to be picked up first thing in the morning showed up before he had hauled very many and accepted his apology for the mistake.

Now that is funny and creates wonderful memories! Wayne

Leaving work at a fancy downtown Atlanta hotel years ago... they had thrown out 6 portable cocktail bars on wheels.  Salvaged the 25 lb aluminum cooling blocks out of the soda ice bins.  150lbs of scrap aluminum paid for my gas home that Christmas.

"If you want the good stuff.... you have to go in"  - A Professional Diver

Edited by Wowabunga (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone

We have the remains of a 1960's era 1/4 midget racer that my Son recognized in a neighbor's curb side trash and stood guard over until I could come and help him retrieve it.

I think that is a. Wonderful story and very commendable on your sons part. I would hope my grandson would do the same. A very different scenario than diving into a dumpster that I find repulsive and disgusting ! Give him a pat on the back for me ! Wayne

Guest AlCapone

Personally I wouldn't dive into a dumpster either unless I was sure it contained something I really wanted. I have a large coin silver 1881 pocket watch my Dad picked up in a dump in 1939 while looking for items to sell so he eat. Tough being an orphan during the Depression.

If you have to feed your family anything is permissible. I often said that I would steal to. Feed my family. Your dad was obviously a wonderful man ! Wayne

A few years ago at the ACD reunion during flea market activities a friend told me that a guy had thrown some front end parts into the dumpster. I went and checked it out, then went in head first with feet in the air and pulled out brake drums, backing plates with all of the internal brake parts, steering arms, tie rod and pitman arm. I took it all home, did a bit of research and discovered it was 12 cylinder Auburn.   All of the parts have since been sold, four figures +  .  Five minutes of extracting those parts was a walk in the park compared to cleaning out old cars that have been infested with mice.