1956 Dynaflow torque ball seal

Beemon

I know this has probably come up before, but most topics I've seen only cover up to '55. My local transmission shop rebuilt my dynaflow and did an amazing job, however the torque ball kit was not included in the rebuild kit and now I'm leaking a quart of tranny oil every 100 miles. Does anyone have any suggestions for a reliable kit? If I recall correctly, many were having issues with a certain brand... thanks in advance!

Buy one from Bobs Automobilia. They sell revulcanized retainers. You can send them yours first to have revulcanized or they usually have one as a core.

ALL torque ball replacement procedures are roughly the same from 49-60 so don't worry that you haven't seen a specific 56 post.

Before anybody brings up different ORIGINAL types of torque ball retaining mechanisms, I will say I have replaced retainers from the earliest to latest Dynaflow torque tubes and with some minor differences in removal procedure , not one has leaked. :)

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I used a new outer torque ball retainer and seal kit from David Edwards at www.autotrans.com on my 1953 Special and it works great. The new style outer torque ball retainer has a rubber strip bonded to the inside that seals against the torque ball. Check his website as he has a special discussion for the 1956 models as it seems they used rubber bonded to the inside and outside of the outer retainer. On the 53 it was straight forward to install the new outer retainer.

Joe

The kit from Bob's for our '56 was close, but not quite right.  The rear shaft seal was seriously oversized, so our transmission guy got one locally.  The one that was in there was the same (wrong) size that Bob's sent us in the kit.  It was no wonder all of our transmission fluid departed at the rear axle.  Make sure the ID fits the shaft or you are wasting your time.

https://www.facebook.com/1956Buick/photos/a.181330141942532.42940.169746389767574/516351878440355/

The kit from Bob's for our '56 was close, but not quite right.  The rear shaft seal was seriously oversized, so our transmission guy got one locally.  The one that was in there was the same (wrong) size that Bob's sent us in the kit.  It was no wonder all of our transmission fluid departed at the rear axle.  Make sure the ID fits the shaft or you are wasting your time.

https://www.facebook.com/1956Buick/photos/a.181330141942532.42940.169746389767574/516351878440355/

I replaced the shaft seal with one from Napa when I installed the Dynaflow and it hasn't leaked into the rear end yet, so I'm good there. Was the revulcanized retainer on point, though?

Also thanks for the replies, guys. I didn't think it would be super hard to replace. Looks like I can do it with the transmission in the car.

• 7 months later...

Seal propeller shaft 1953-1958 5.442-1346034.A friend of mine bought two seals with a smaller outside diameter and had a "short tube"made,about 5/8"length to fit inside  the shaft and the torque ball and put the  two seals after each other in the tube.

Leif in Sweden.