6 blade fan

marcnoni

Changing the fan may not solve an overheating issue unless you are building a slow moving parade car.  The fan does little to help cooling at speed. 

Cleaning or replacing the radiator core and/or cleaning the engine cooling jacket would typically be the first steps to take with cooling problems. 

What's the reasoning for you wanting to do that ??

I'd second what Mark says.

I put a 5 blade fan on my '39 and it does draw an awful lot more air through the radiator but I did it because I want to eventually be able to drive mine in peak hour traffic.

Nothing works better than a good radiator and if it's no good, a bigger fan blade is only a short term fix.

Danny

The number of fan blades is just one factor of a fans ability to draw air thru the radiator. The width, the pitch, and the speed of the fan blades along with how easy it is for the wind to exit the engine compartment are also part of how well it does its job. Wether its got a shroud or how effciently air is drawn thru the non shrouded radiator all comes into play. The main reason why old cars get hot is the radiator no longer flows like when it was new. If the number of blades on a fan could overcome radiator problems  than all the old cars would have eight or even ten blades and everyone would be happy.

Edited by LAS VEGAS DAVE (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced the 4 blade fan with an aftermarket 6 blade flex fan.............

I see little or no improvement and it is not a fun job.

It is hard enough starting the bolts on a four blade fan.... the 6 blade give you much less room, I tried several special made tools and will not change it back any time soon because of the difficulty.