Bought a '90 coupe

ChrisWhewell

Took me 15 years but finally got a Reatta.   78k miles and looks showroom new, even the original paint looks near perfect.   A few things wrong, minor stuff.   Like the headlamp switch, mirror motor, trunk won't open, and check engine light.   No problem.  What a nice looking car.

Guest my3buicks

Of course you can troubleshoot the check engine light with the codes, but it's probably the cam sensor.  Do both mirrors not work or just one?  Sounds like you might have some bad connections (corroded( under the passenger seat. As you tackle each issue, be sure to do a search as everything has been discussed at one point or another, and also Ronnie's site has fantastic tutorials on most issues.  Welcome, you will enjoy the Reatta immensely once you get the few bugs worked out.

What color?

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like a great car. You may not be aware of it but the 1990 Headlight switch is a one year only Reatta only part. I have a extra 1990 Reatta switch that is in near perfect condition.  Email me at lemke1044@aol.com if you are interested.

I have had my '90 for about a month and love it.  It was the first car I clay barred and thought it was worth the effort.  The car is a glowing liquid Maui Blue dream.  I replaced the radio with a NOS unit that is fine but will replace the belts on the original.  Some light compounding took care of the dulled taillight bar.  I am considering steel wheels for winter.

Good luck with yours.  Drive it, enjoy it, and love it.

Justin

Thank's ya'all.  The passenger mirror motor... is detached, the little bosses for the two fasteners that hold it inside the mirror cowl are snapped, so I have to get the mirror off of the motor, then maybe plastic weld the little bosses back on.   As for the light switch, Jim Finn up in Duluth has come to the rescue.   OMG, this car is sooo mint looking, like a factory-new paint job and the windows are clean as crystal.   I don't even want to drive it, maybe just park it in the living room and look at it, lol.   Have to educate myself on the Teves system.  My daily driver is a 93 vette, but I also keep a '67 K20 4X4 chev fleetside in the garage next to the Road King.   I drove a 97 and 98 Riviera supercharged the past 15 years and know those Riv's inside and out.  I haven't paid for mechanic work on anything in 25 years. Some day I'll crawl into the trunk with a flashlight and screwdriver and figure out how to pop the trunk open, the electronic button in the glove box doesn't work, and the key when inserted into the lock only turns but nothing happens.  For the future, new injectors from John at Fuel Injector Connection in Georgia, a transmission filter change, fuel filter, brake system flush, coolant flush, etc. the usual bs.  Thanks my3buicks for the tip on the cam sensor, I need to get a factory service manual too.  What a pretty car,  7 inches longer than a C4 'vette.   I had a 90 convertible back in 2001 for a day but returned it, that thing rattled like a h***, I prefer the structural integrity of the coupe

Just for the fun of it push down on the trunk lid while you turn the key or have someone push the

button in the glove box. Sometime this works. If it does the latch needs adjusting. If that fails

reach through the ski door and trip the orange lever on the latch.

Good luck

Ed

• Like 1

Of course you can troubleshoot the check engine light with the codes, but it's probably the cam sensor.  Do both mirrors not work or just one?  Sounds like you might have some bad connections (corroded( under the passenger seat. As you tackle each issue, be sure to do a search as everything has been discussed at one point or another, and also Ronnie's site has fantastic tutorials on most issues.  Welcome, you will enjoy the Reatta immensely once you get the few bugs worked out.

What color?

She's red.   Yeah, I have a cam sensor circuit fault code 041.   If those seem to go out, maybe I should just go buy one ?   Hopefully the magnet on the sprocket hasn't fallen out