American car, but what?

Vintman

Hi Folks,

Need a bit more help again please. Have been looking at the attached photos and doing lots of research but not getting anywhere. Seems an American car in America. Vaguely like a Chevrolet 490 but it isn't. Starange apertures in the skirt should help somebody. Body and louvres are common fashion of the day. Would much appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Vintman (UK)

www.svvs.org

post-101031-0-64450500-1442512494_thumb.

Not Paterson, I think.  There is one to be found on Google which is in a museum in Belgium, though I think by comparing it with pictures in The Standard Catalog, is a 1917.  It has vertical hood louvres, it has six rim bolts and the curve of the front fender is more like the '17 than the '16.  The radiator badge is the wrong shape as well.  We can't see with the Belgium car whether it has cantilever springs at the rear.  The mystery car has six bolts holding the hub together, the Belgium Paterson looks to have seven or eight.

Keep looking!

Yesterday I did a google search for Paterson.  There were multiple images and I thought one did have sloping louvers.  In attempting to retrace my search today I get "Patterson" (2"T"'s) which was a whole different automobile, and "Paterson" doesn't come up at all.  Go figure.    Referring to the Kimes/Clark Standard Catalog, first edition, I see the 1916 Paterson on page 1076 with what I initially thought had sloping louvers, which may have been what I saw before.  The picture is dark and subject to interpretation.  There was no frontal view.

OK, having been researching Regal further and it seems the 1915 Regal had the two apertures in the skirt and a radiator which matched. Unusual apertures not noted elsewhere? There were three cars available 1915: Light Four, Standard Four, and V type Eight. Found an ad dated 1915 where the louvres do not match, and found another ad dated 1915 where they slant and match, but the bonnet is too long, probably the V 8. Also this is an artists drawing and the apertures are not shown. However as Dave Henderson says, lots of things match, including the type of windscreen. Standard Catalogue does not show any slanting louvres, and the photos are too dark to see any apertures, which does not help. So all things considered, I guess it is probably a cca 1915 Regal Light Four and thank to Dave and Leif for hanging on in there  !!

Regards

Vintman  (UK)

www.svvs.org