engine change -

gfw2

I have a 30 model 68 that has no engine or trans and i have the opportunity to buy  one from a 36 special (?) It's been out for  and in dry storage for over 30 years. I'm not to worried about the condition of the engine as i haven't seen it yet. What i'm interested in is if it will fit and what modifications i will have to do to make it work. 

Thanks 

George

post-93140-0-33979000-1439598545_thumb.j

Edited by gfw2 (see edit history)

George,

This is a Buick. They redesigned everything, every year.

Will it fit? No. You will be squeezing a straight 8 into the space already tight for a straight 6

What modifications? Everything. Nothing from the '36 will bolt up to the '30 except maybe the battery and some of the light bulbs.

I wish I could be more encouraging, but unless you are going to install 1930 Master engine, you would be better off with a late model chevy straight 6, trans and rear end.

Just my opinion. Others will disagree.

Dwight

I really like your work area. It is magazine quality!

Edited by Dwight Romberger (see edit history)

Thanks Dwight

I was hoping that the transmission and rear axle would bolt up. The rest of it would be just a matter of making mounts. I like the idea of having it look period correct. When i sold the engine to a person on here that is doing a complete restoration on his mdl 68 i was planing on making a speedster with mine as there was absolutely no wood in this one when i picked it up in Ohio a few years ago. I have two Buick drive trains one 1958 with a three speed and a 61 with an automatic trans.plus the 61 rear axle.Well i guess i wont know which way to go until i get a look at the 36 next week.

George

Putting the later V8 drive trains in it sounds easier and it would have a lot more performance than with the 1936 engine (200 plus hp vs 93) but it would be an interesting exercise to put the straight eight in.  Regarding space, if you are starting with a bare frame and building a speedster body then I guess anything is possible.

Thanks Dwight

I was hoping that the transmission and rear axle would bolt up. The rest of it would be just a matter of making mounts. I like the idea of having it look period correct. When i sold the engine to a person on here that is doing a complete restoration on his mdl 68 i was planing on making a speedster with mine as there was absolutely no wood in this one when i picked it up in Ohio a few years ago. I have two Buick drive trains one 1958 with a three speed and a 61 with an automatic trans.plus the 61 rear axle.Well i guess i wont know which way to go until i get a look at the 36 next week.

George

Hi George,

I am the person that bought your original motor about 5 years ago.   Still have it although I have cannibalized some of the parts from it and used them on my engine as they were in better shape than the ones that I had.  That engine has been extremely helpful to my restoration on more than one occasion.  Just want you to know that I am very grateful you were willing to sell it as they are rare as hen's teeth anymore.

Thanks again, 

Hi Michael

I'm glad you commented on this thread, i didn't want to just blurt out your name. I'm very glad it has been helpful for you.I didn't think it was in to bad  of shape and it looked like the milage was on track with the wear i saw. At the time i sold it i was missing some of the important body and interior parts to do a complete restoration so i was glad that the engine would be used in your restoration.I think i'm going to put in one of my later buick engine trans and rearend. I have absolutely no wood to use for patterns and no one makes a kit so i'm not sure how i will go about putting the body back together. First step is to get it up and running.

I sold my 32 and 40 ford stuff to clear out the garage so now i have the time and room to get this project rolling.

George

• 1 month later...

George,

I am in the same boat as you. I have a 1928 model 58 but no body. My engine is a rusted boat anchor. Have a 300-6 ford engine and  3 speed tranny sitting in the garage but have not figured out how to connect it to the original enclosed torque tube rear end yet.

Had 3 of my kids scraping grease with me yesterday afternoon.