Clear coat over Single stage paint

Guest Bobby Rodd

Check the specific clear coat that is available today. PPG's refinish website lists data sheets for their products. The DCU 2002 Concept high solids polyurethane clear is compatible over Deltron DBU Basecoat, Deltron DBC Basecoat and Concept DCC Acylic Urethane. Check the data sheets and also consider Shop-Line brand clear. Ask your jobber:

http://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Products/Automotive-Refinish/Deltron

My 1948 Studebaker pickup was coated with "Ruby Glow Red" Dupont Centari acrylic enamel 1-stage paint. My excellent body shop guy then blended in a little red with clear overcoat to give it depth and UV protection. I think he did a final overcoat with 100% clear.  It has held up well over the last 13 years. I suspect that the availability of acrylic enamels will be very limited in the future.

post-47871-1431429926_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Most old single stage paints can be brought back from chalky, faded and dull to shiny bright with a bit of work and can be maintained with clay, wax detail spray and a bit of time and effort. What are you hoping to gain with clear coat ?

Realize that if something goes wrong you will have to strip the car and start over - a very large risk. Add in the fact that clear coat WILL eventually peel whereas single stage can often be brought back after 70 or 80 years. You really need to think this through.

Guest exbcmc

Most old single stage paints can be brought back from chalky, faded and dull to shiny bright with a bit of work and can be maintained with clay, wax detail spray and a bit of time and effort. What are you hoping to gain with clear coat ?

Realize that if something goes wrong you will have to strip the car and start over - a very large risk. Add in the fact that clear coat WILL eventually peel whereas single stage can often be brought back after 70 or 80 years. You really need to think this through.

If you can visualize a 73 Chevy p/u truck, they had a color my wife calls baby s... yellow. It oxidizes overnight. I thought a clear coat might prevent that?

Get some good car wax and wax it.

I had an old Renault Le Car, its red paint was so faded it looked like primer. I washed it and for the hell of it, went over it with some Turtle Wax I found in the garage. It came up so nice I went over it again, and again. Every time it came up nicer.

After waxing it 9 times it was so slick you could throw a clean rag on the roof and it would slide over the roof, down the windshield, over the hood, and fall on the ground. I used up all the Turtle Wax, some Rain Dance, and some other stuff I had.

The car looked better than new. I never waxed it again but sold it a year later. I saw it a couple of years after that, and it still looked good.

So get some good car wax and build up coat after coat until you can't stand it. This is not so hard, as it gets easier every time you do it.

Get it looking good, and wax it again once a year. It will look like new as long as you own it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest exbcmc

Get some good car wax and wax it.

I had an old Renault Le Car, its red paint was so faded it looked like primer. I washed it and for the hell of it, went over it with some Turtle Wax I found in the garage. It came up so nice I went over it again, and again. Every time it came up nicer.

After waxing it 9 times it was so slick you could throw a clean rag on the roof and it would slide over the roof, down the windshield, over the hood, and fall on the ground. I used up all the Turtle Wax, some Rain Dance, and some other stuff I had.

The car looked better than new. I never waxed it again but sold it a year later. I saw it a couple of years after that, and it still looked good.

So get some good car wax and build up coat after coat until you can't stand it. This is not so hard, as it gets easier every time you do it.

Get it looking good, and wax it again once a year. It will look like new as long as you own it.

Funny you should say Turtle Wax, I love that stuff. About a year ago I bought a quality buffer and several stages of compounds. Did the trick and I purchased a good cover.