Correct AC Plugs for 57?

lancemb

I have a box of AC R43 and a box of AC 44S.  One came with my 57 and one came with some 58 stuff I bought.  Are either of these correct for a 57 and 58 Buick?  I'm not sure how the naming conventions have changed over the years or what it means exactly.  The R43 plugs look pretty old.

The original plug was AC 44.  The 44S is the same heat range with an extended tip; both are non resistor.  The R43 is slightly 'colder' and is a resistor but  would work.  The 44 and 44S are not available anymore.  Check the ebay prices of the 44S, especially if they have green stripes...You may want to sell those to some anal retentive and just use some Autolite 85's that give me good (and cheap) service. :D

Willie

• Like 1

The original plug was AC 44.  The 44S is the same heat range with an extended tip; both are non resistor.  The R43 is slightly 'colder' and is a resistor but  would work.  The 44 and 44S are not available anymore.  Check the ebay prices of the 44S, especially if they have green stripes...You may want to sell those to some anal retentive and just use some Autolite 85's that give me good (and cheap) service. :D

Willie

Thanks!!  As it turns out I only have 7 of the R43s; I'll check and see if either are valuable and may take your advice.  I'm with ya; something such as a spark plug that will not be seen and not provide better performance than what I can buy at Autozone does not matter to me, and I am pretty tight on originality. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to have a big bag of sooty AC44's in a cabinet. They were generally the recommended plug for my collector Buicks over the years. I started using AC45's and that range stayed looking good for 8 or 9 years.

About 5 or 6 years ago I started tossing my AC45 on the parts counter and asking for an NGK that looked like a similar heat range. That has been working fine for me.

I think the 44's were a bit cool for collector car use.

Bernie

I used to have a big bag of sooty AC44's in a cabinet. They were generally the recommended plug for my collector Buicks over the years. I started using AC45's and that range stayed looking good for 8 or 9 years.

About 5 or 6 years ago I started tossing my AC45 on the parts counter and asking for an NGK that looked like a similar heat range. That has been working fine for me.

I think the 44's were a bit cool for collector car use.

Bernie

AC44 would probably be just right for high speed driving with E10 fuel; for slow cruising AC45 or 46 (or equivalent) would be right.  A set of AC44S lasted 30k mile in one of mine.

The stock radio will be fine if all the plug wires are seated in the distributor and on the plugs, the proper capacitors if used are on the generator, coil and voltage regulator and if the antenna sheath is grounded.

I went to resistor plugs on the cars I installed a cruise control...just enough interference to disable or cause malfunctions.

lancemb made out like a bandit on those plugs!

Willie

AC44 would probably be just right for high speed driving with E10 fuel; for slow cruising AC45 or 46 (or equivalent) would be right.  A set of AC44S lasted 30k mile in one of mine.

The stock radio will be fine if all the plug wires are seated in the distributor and on the plugs, the proper capacitors if used are on the generator, coil and voltage regulator and if the antenna sheath is grounded.

I went to resistor plugs on the cars I installed a cruise control...just enough interference to disable or cause malfunctions.

lancemb made out like a bandit on those plugs!

Willie

I'll check that stuff out on mine...

I'll start with checking the wires on the plugs..