Correct Tire Size for 60 Buick Electra 225

Smartin

I am going to take the plunge and buy some nice reproduction tires for the 60, and I don't want to burn a bunch of $$ getting a size that is going to cost my points at a judged meet.

My research shows that 8.00x15 tire with a 2 1/4" whitewall is correct.

This is as close as I can find to that measurement:

https://www.cokertire.com/800-15-coker-classic-2-1-2-whitewall-tire.html

Is this an acceptable tire?  Dropping a grand on stuff like this makes me cringe, when I can spend less than half on a decent set of radials.

from the 2005 judging manual:

i. Tires - Type

Check tires for correct type (radial/ bias-ply).

Radial tires were first offered as an option in 1967

on all models. One point is deducted for each tire

which was not a factory authorized option for

model and year.

j. Tires - Size

Check tires for correct size and whitewall width for

year and model. A non-authentic type tire must

also receive a deduction for non-authentic tire size.

If neither the standard nor alternate tire size is

currently being reproduced, the next closest tire size

up or down may be substituted without a deduction.

A non-authentic tire size includes an obviously

incorrect (more than 1/2-inch variation from factory)

whitewall width. One point is deducted for each

non-authentically sized tire.

It looks like 0 point deduction if you get bias ply, and up to 5 points if you get radials.  The whitewall width should be a non issue cause it is within 1/2 inch difference in width.  The kicker?  The manual is being updated, and it is unknown if this section will change.

BTW, for the amount to be spent, and the miles to be driven, I'd take a chance on the 5 points.

John is correct; 8.20 X 15 with 2 1/2 inch white walls. When I bought my car I got a good deal on a one year old set from a 400 point RR Silver Cloud, 8.20X15. Not suitable for high point judging I got then on the terms I would wear them out rather than let them dry rot. Nine years and about 12,000 miles later I replaced them with the same size.

I liked how they looked.

post-89785-0-53170300-1437918598_thumb.j

And I did, in fact, wear them out.

post-89785-0-99897300-1437918700_thumb.j

When the car gets up to bout 390 points I will probably reconsider.

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I am going to take the plunge and buy some nice reproduction tires for the 60, and I don't want to burn a bunch of $$ getting a size that is going to cost my points at a judged meet.

My research shows that 8.00x15 tire with a 2 1/4" whitewall is correct.

This is as close as I can find to that measurement:

https://www.cokertire.com/800-15-coker-classic-2-1-2-whitewall-tire.html

Is this an acceptable tire?  Dropping a grand on stuff like this makes me cringe, when I can spend less than half on a decent set of radials.

Don't buy the tire in the link.  Pull up the Coker online catalogue where you will see that the tread width is less than a 760-15 (next size down) and will look goofy when mounted.  The only thing going for that tire is the 800-15 label.  The General is better looking tire, but states a 3" white wall.  Most tires when mounted will have a white wall width less than stated (1/4 to 1/2").  Also be careful of tires like this that have the wall ground to expose the white --- the last set I bought from Coker, the width varied 3/4" (noticed after mounted and balanced $$$... they corrected).

Bias tires will last 15,000 miles or 15 years or more....radials will last 50,000 miles or 5 years (check the date code on radials!)

Willie

I have been using Summit Racing for Coker tires. Summit ships free over $100 and the tires are about 20% less through them.

It is a good deal and they are a great company to deal with.

John, ever notice I live in New York and most of my pictures show the car parted on dirt?

Bernie

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)

I just looked in Summit's site.  Same Coker tire is $206 on both sites.  But I save $100 on shipping through Summit.  And if I went with the Generals which are $11 cheaper (each), I am still saving $30 on the total cost if I go through Summit for the Coker tires.  Hmmmmm

Guest shorttimer

I went with 8.20 x 15 BFGs with the 2.5" whitewall on my Invicta.  Not technically correct size-wise, but I figured the wider tread section would be beneficial, especially on SoCal highways. They are taller by about 0.5" than the 8.00 x 15 Cokers, so the car sits a little high if the tires are fully inflated.  Here they are: 

post-81280-0-41219800-1437965985_thumb.j

I considered the Dual 90s, but thought the 3" might look too wide.  You could also consider the US Royals with the 2.75" whitewalls.  Here they are on Tom Sidoti's exceptional '59 4867: http://1fine59.com/?p=349

I'm real happy with mine.

post-89785-0-84872900-1438001337_thumb.j

I know they are a little larger, but I like it.

And the stance is high. And I like that too

post-89785-0-28876400-1438001465_thumb.j

If I get 9 years and 12,000 miles out of them, I hope I have to buy three more set.

Bernie

Maybe 4!