Anyone Ever Cast Hard Rubber Parts?

hddennis

You can get rubber in many different shapes and cut it with a bandsaw.  I have cast some rubber parts with Devcon Flexane (A two part urethane rubber with a hardness additive) but it is very difficult to judge how much hardness additive to use to come up with a particular shore hardness.  I have had better luck buying a chunk that can be cut with a bandsaw and then finished off on a bench sander.

Once you get the rubber, it has to be bonded to the metal plate.  Real vulcanization takes tooling to clamp the uncured rubber in place while it's heated and cured.  I have successfully used Pliobond cement for bonding rubber-to-steel without heat.  Put a coat of Pliobond on each part, let it dry.  Put on a second coat, let it get tacky, assemble the parts, and clamp for about a week to let the solvent escape.  I have only used the "real" Pliobond, not the newer stuff with green "VOC compliant" label, don't know if that also works.  Get the parts well aligned before you touch them together because the glue line will not slide!  Try a dummy piece of rubber on steel for practice.

Making a rubber bumper is a lot of work.  Call Then and Now Automotive in Weymouth, MA (781-335-8860) and see if they get new ones for you or make them to order.  Also check with your local truck spring shop because they might find something close enough in standard parts. 

In principle, you should replace the U bolts holding the axle and springs together when you take the bumpers out because they have already been stretched (at least) once.  Eaton Detroit Spring can make you some nice new ones.