Buick for sale - found online

I see the seller is generating a ton of interest with an opening bid of $89K. Also noted -

• Floors are very solid,
  • Body has been professionally restored

If the body has been restored wouldn't the floors be perfect & the car painted? Or are floors no longer considered part of the body? And maybe this car was a rare optioned primer only paint delete car. Either my eyes deceive me & the car is painted(looks like rust/orange to me) or it's in primer which is Not restored.

That is the kind of deal an "expert" would laugh at and pass up. Then some guy with $100,000 of discretionary funds will just scoop it up, have a couple of desirable cars, and get on with his life enjoying the hell out of them. $90,000 averages to $4500 a year for 20 years.

Here's a test. Tomorrow I'll send you out in the morning tasked with bringing back money; in any manner you chose. Just show up at the end of the day with some amount of money.

The day after tomorrow you will be tasked with bringing back a '53 Skylark OR a Packard Caribbean, either one, any condition, just show up with one at the end of the day.

Money, people worry too much about it. I know of an urban legend car that a group of experts looked at in the late 1960's. They left the car and went to a coffee shop where they picked everything about the car apart, enough to dissuade the potential buyer from making the deal. A week later a local car salesman and hobbyist shows up driving the car , oblivious of its flaws, smiling, and having a great time. The car eventually ended up in a remote garage where it has set for about 40 years and been whispered about.

I was told that story over 20 years ago. It confirmed a trait I had already demonstrated of paying whatever it took to make the car mine, including my '64 Riviera I bought 37 years ago. Friend laughed and told me I paid twice as much as I should have. Over the 37 years I have seen then and others with the same advice go through a lot of cars. They claimed they were buying and selling for "fun". Fun and money didn't go together for these guys. They are incredibly tight and still leaving quarter tips from a snap leather change purse. They kept buying at "their" price and never found anything good.

The story about the old car above was told to me in the early 1990's, shortly after cars started showing up with over 100,000 miles and still looking good. It happened that a red Mustang GT 5.0 5spd in impeccable condition showed up at a local lot. It was flawless, but just over 100K. I tried to negotiate $600 off the price. Two days later it was gone. Stupid, stupid, stupid. For 600 bucks I let a really nice car slip away, influenced by peers  and some ideology of car values. I don't let that happen since the reminder Mustang.

Which reminds me, I need to put some gas in the Packard I bought from an old man on Craigslist last year. I like to make the whistle blow. Oh, yeah, I just gave him the asking price, seemed like a good deal. I went alone.

Bernie

• Like 1

Key phrase, " I went alone". Whenever I visit a swap meet or car coral I go alone. Too often I was influenced by compadres, and past up purchases that I should've made and later regretted it. I will, however, attend a car SHOW with friends.