1962 Special

Guest duckpin

Guest duckpin

Is it just me, or is it getting harder and harder to find parts for compact Buicks (61-63)? 

I am the second owner of a 1962 Special, which I purchased in 1998. I had to have the engine partially rebuilt (needed a front housing and oil pump, among other things) and it took my friend at the garage more than a year to find the parts he needed (I have the 198 V-6) before I got the car back last month. Yes, it probably would have made more sense to just put in a new engine, but I want to keep this as original as possible. 

At some point down the road I am planning to have the car completely restored. It is fine as it is now, but the paint is tired. I also would like to get the engine fully rebuilt. But I have reservations since it was so damn hard to find things for it. It took me forever to find anything from brake cylinders to engine mounts. In the 17 years I have owned this car, I have taken it to shows all over Eastern and Central Connecticut, including Buick-only shows, and have yet to see another one like it. That is a point of pride, of course, but is it because they are few and far between in general?

Sorry for the rant. It is just getting frustrating that the compact Buicks seemingly get little love from collectors and parts suppliers! Someone convince me otherwise, please.

Brian

post-138078-0-73771500-1436925563_thumb.

What kind of parts are you looking for?  The 1961-63 Y-body cars (F-85, Tempest, and Special) have never been popular and are not well supported by the aftermarket.  That's the price we pay for owning something that is not a 69 Camaro.  While not as readily available as Camaro (or A-body) parts, I've had no problems getting maintenance parts.  Suspension, steering, and brake parts are available from Kanter as well as NOS parts on ebay.  Engine parts are easy, as most are common with later Buick V8 and V6 motors.  SMS sells upholstery and door panels (they aren't cheap, but they are available).  Sheet metal and trim are the real problems.  I've had to buy complete parts cars to get small parts.  Of course, the transmissions are unique also, but Fatsco sells parts for the automatics.  The rear axle is also unique and parts are unobtanium for the most part.

Guest duckpin

Part of me wonders if these cars ever will notice their value. How often do we see the F-85/Special/Tempest at car shows? At least for me, not often. Kind of reminds me of Mopars from this era ... you just do not see them around very much. 

The parts for which I'm talking are exactly the ones you reference. For example, I am looking for an antenna (mine snapped off after a strong wind blew off the cover and took the antenna with it). It's damn near impossible to find one. However, I am thrilled about you sharing Fatsco ... I have the two-speed dual-path transmission, and have wondered about overhauling that someday. But, I have heard the 13-inch tires are getting harder to find. Same goes for the muffler.

I just wish there was information readily available for these compact cars. As I mentioned ... what color were the seat belts, where to find reproduction dashes (mine is cracked), where to find a rear body panel underneath the bumper (I have a two-inch rust hole). What colors were the engine? (My cylinder heads are a faded light blue, almost turquoise). These are GM cars, for Christ's sake.

Part of me wonders if these cars ever will notice their value. How often do we see the F-85/Special/Tempest at car shows? At least for me, not often. Kind of reminds me of Mopars from this era ... you just do not see them around very much. 

The parts for which I'm talking are exactly the ones you reference. For example, I am looking for an antenna (mine snapped off after a strong wind blew off the cover and took the antenna with it). It's damn near impossible to find one. However, I am thrilled about you sharing Fatsco ... I have the two-speed dual-path transmission, and have wondered about overhauling that someday. But, I have heard the 13-inch tires are getting harder to find. Same goes for the muffler.

I just wish there was information readily available for these compact cars. As I mentioned ... what color were the seat belts, where to find reproduction dashes (mine is cracked), where to find a rear body panel underneath the bumper (I have a two-inch rust hole). What colors were the engine? (My cylinder heads are a faded light blue, almost turquoise). These are GM cars, for Christ's sake.

The fact that I don't see them at car shows (other than my own) is an advantage in my opinion.  My 62 wagon routinely get a lot of attention, just because most people there have never seen one before.  You can't get replacement sheet metal parts for most A-body cars that aren't Chevelles, other than limited Chinesium patch panels.  The market for 442s and GTOs is probably 1000 times larger than for Y-body cars, and there are only a handful of major body panel repros for THOSE cars, so don't hold your breath on Y-body parts.  I've had good luck finding rust-free southwestern sheetmetal, you just need to spend time looking for it.  Frankly, I find the search an enjoyable part of the restoration process.

The lack of appropriately-sized 13" tires is unrelated to these cars specifically, but to the market in general. Heck, you can't get most 14" tire sizes anymore, and again there is a MUCH larger market for those.  Sorry, but that's the reality of macroeconomics 101.  You actually can get correct repro tires, but you will have to pay dearly to a repro tire house like Coker.  Repro exhaust parts are available from the boutique exhaust system providers.  I can't get a repro dash pad for any of my 442s, so it's no surprise that none are available for Y-body cars.  In both cases, one of the expensive recovering vendors is the only option.

Again, you aren't going to be able to open a single catalog and write checks, you have to spend time doing research and joining owner groups.  The jetfire.com forum, while primarily covering the turbo cars, has a large number of members with lesser F-85s and Specials.  I can't speak to the Bufords, but the 61-63 F-85s seem to be undergoing increased popularity lately, as the prices of 64-72 cars continue to rise.  OPGI has started selling some Y-body repro parts, for example.  Keep in mind that these cars are over 50 years old and still not popular.  Don't expect a vendor to manufacture and sell repro parts without a reasonable expectation of making a profit.

I can't speak to the V6 paint, as all F-85s came with the 215.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Sorry for the rant. It is just getting frustrating that the compact Buicks seemingly get little love from collectors and parts suppliers! Someone convince me otherwise, please."

​I can completely understand and I feel your pain.  Mopars from 1949-54 are in somewhat the same category, as far as getting little or no love from collectors and parts suppliers, though I wouldn't doubt your Buick Special situation is actually worse.  It's pretty frustrating to buy a car, work on it, put money into it, then drive it to a regional car show and have people almost completely ignore it.  Yet, walk by a row of Mustangs, Camaros or Chevelles and there are so many people clustered around them that you can't get a decent photo, should you want one.

But, there are some of us who admire your Buick.  Count me as one of those.  Keep working on it, keep searching for those hard-to-find parts.  You're preserving a little known part of history.

"Sorry for the rant. It is just getting frustrating that the compact Buicks seemingly get little love from collectors and parts suppliers! Someone convince me otherwise, please."

​I walk by a row of Mustangs, Camaros or Chevelles and there are so many people clustered around them that you can't get a decent photo, should you want one.

But, there are some of us who admire your Buick. Count me as one of those. Keep working on it, keep searching for those hard-to-find parts. You're preserving a little known part of history.

count me in also as one of those who would admire your car and ignore the others, especially because my cousin's first car was the convertible version of yours in exactly the same color combo. It was early 1967 when I visited, and a friend was removing the cylinder heads to be sent out for a valve job. It was several days later when I returned and the engine was started. Apparently the factory stock car was fitted with dual exhaust and glass pack mufflers and I marveled at how cool it sounded. Pleasant memories! Larry W

PS. I believe Land Rover still uses the 215 V8. Google "D and D fabrications". For more info.

Edited by Larry W (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest AlCapone

Unfortunately cars not in demand such as you describe do not catch the attention of the aftermarket people so repro parts are not easily come by. Have you tried Hershey or any other of the large swap meets? Wayne

And the switch-pitch trannys got grabbed for dragsters. Try www.kennebell.net

Think a 'vert with the 215/215 turbo and a four speed would get attention anywhere.

The Switch PItch transmissions didn't come out until the 1964 model year.  They were available from 1964-1967 in the ST300 and TH400 offered in Olds and Buick lines.  This is completely unrelated to the 1962 Special discussed in this thread.

• Like 1