rear suspension

Guest gmeyer316

Guest gmeyer316

New issue, just refilled the lever shocks in the rear, seemed to help a little with the ride, Ive seen conversions to telescoping shocks, doesn't seem too difficult, anyone know the proper length of shock that  will do the job?

Guest gmeyer316

before I filled the shocks it bounced like a ball when you pushed down on the rear bumper, now it recovers like it should. I measured the springs according to the shop manual and they were within specs given. it leans a lot when turning right unless you creep. I do know the front suspension need new bushings and all that but that shouldn't affect the ride.

before I filled the shocks it bounced like a ball when you pushed down on the rear bumper, now it recovers like it should.

The shocks are working like they should; tube shocks will not help your situation.  New front shocks if the old ones are worn will help.  The leaning can be cured with a heavier sway bar and/or new springs.  Rebuilding the front suspension will also make a big difference.

Willie

"it leans a lot when turning right unless you creep."

Consider checking the rubber front sway bar link bushings and make sure they are tight.  If you have the original rubber bushings tighten the link until the bushing expands to the diameter of the washers.  Sometimes they dry up and shrink or crack.  Same wtih the bushing that go around the sway bar and mount to the frame.  They're pretty cheap to replace if thats it.

If there are rubber "shock absorber grommets" for the end link attachments of the sway bar to the lower control arms, you can probably find new rubber ones reasonably easy in Moog sway bar link kits (although they might be light blue!).  Additionally, you can replace them with polyurethane items (usually in a shrink wrap card in dark red color) or get some for a '79 Pontiac TransAm WS-6 application, which are polyurethane and white.  Using the polyurethane items will take some compliance out of the system so the bar woks sooner, AND effectively becomes 20% stiffer by taking that "give" of the rubber out of the system.

Where the sway bar is held to the front frame rails, you might end up with stock items there, in rubber.  Main thing is that the bar is firmly controlled by the rubber isolators at that location.

Making sure the rest of the rubber bushings in the front suspension are in good shape can also help the car corner flatter, too, as they'll be firmer than the aged bushings now in the suspension.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)