Vega! Dodge or Ford? & personal battles

Name the last time you saw a Cosworth Vega!

Which do you prefer: Dodge or Ford?

On personal notes, I have battled heart-related issues since I was born:

& now enduring issues which hope to make this true:
But, perhaps perspective is an odd thing?  In some ways, feel like my best days [via road trips 2002-2011 & events-gatherings, at least 2 of which I am missing this weekend] are over.  Yet, if this proves correct, once I get a job & get back on track, I shall have some spectacularly fabulous days ahead!  Until then, my crafting enthusiasm for my website will have to suffice.

Cort :) www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
1979 & 1989 Caprice Classics | pigValve, paceMaker, cowValve
"I should've done what I'm going to do a long time ago" __ Joel Sonnier __ 'No More 1 More Time'

Question 1. Last time I saw a Cosworth Vega will be two weeks ago tomorrow.

Question 2. Neither, both are illegal to be driven on a public road.

Pretty cool, nice to someone recognize the Cosworth Vega's and how rare they are. Here is a neat link with some more history of the CV's by the way I did just see one today, in my garage #0718 

http://www.cosworthvega.com/cosworth_vega_history.html

THOUGHT that was you who commented on the website post, John ... awesome! ;)  If you'd like, I'd love to feature yours on my website.  Let me know....

Meantime, thank you for the link.  That's quite a history & a good read. :)

Question 1. Last time I saw a Cosworth Vega will be two weeks ago tomorrow.

Question 2. Neither, both are illegal to be driven on a public road.

1) Nice!  For me, nearly 2 months ago now. ;)

2) Wondered if anyone would mention that.....  That was my thinking when my friend spotted them near where he is in FL.....

"I can't stop driving" __ New Radicals __ 'Someday We'll Know'

I think question 2 depends on where you live and local DMV rules / degree of enforcement. Here in the wilds of British Columbia, Canada there are a fair number of trucks more or less the same as the Dodge that are regularly road driven. The Ford would even here be off road only, at least once it got pulled over 3 or 4 times and the fines started to add up. At the very least the owner would have to put mud flaps on it for our law enforcement .

4 x 4' s aren't really my thing but there are sure some astonishing ones in my neck of the woods.

Greg in Canada

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

THOUGHT that was you who commented on the website post, John ... awesome! ;)  If you'd like, I'd love to feature yours on my website.  Let me know....

Meantime, thank you for the link.  That's quite a history & a good read. :)

1) Nice!  For me, nearly 2 months ago now. ;)

2) Wondered if anyone would mention that.....  That was my thinking when my friend spotted them near where he is in FL.....

"I can't stop driving" __ New Radicals __ 'Someday We'll Know'

I guess the ones who really noticed would be the people like myself who have had to replace a windshield or my case two) from flying rocks. California and Arizona say the tire must be inside the fender, and after a certain height must have a mud flap. Those states also have a bumper height specification. BTW, in Ca. if a rock from a vehicle like the one in your picture did hit and break your windshield you can stop the driver to get insurance information, if the driver does not comply with the information exchange and drives off or will not stop for you the act is considered hit and run.

Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a broken windshield from rocks or winter salt / sand trucks [ often going the opposite direction}.  The dump trucks around here are fast driving and plenty. Good luck with getting one to stop. Every now and then someone locally is killed or seriously injured from flying objects shaken off trucks, the police take those incidents seriously but rarely find the source. Generally the truck driver has no idea of what has happened; they are looking in front of their rig, not behind.

Greg in Canada

Every vehicle I have ever owned has had a broken windshield from rocks or winter salt / sand trucks [ often going the opposite direction}.  The dump trucks around here are fast driving and plenty. Good luck with getting one to stop. Every now and then someone locally is killed or seriously injured from flying objects shaken off trucks, the police take those incidents seriously but rarely find the source. Generally the truck driver has no idea of what has happened; they are looking in front of their rig, not behind.

Greg in Canada

Not a problem to not stop, you just get the plate number and it's a hit and run.

I would agree if the object comes off a vehicle you are following. I generally give the ones in front of me as much space as I can  to give my windshield a fighting chance.  Most of the things that have hit my windshield, headlights , paint etc. have come off trucks going the opposite way. Unless you are prepared to make a u turn on what is often a busy, sometimes narrow or curvy road, often in the dark then perhaps a windshield every year or two might be the least serious of your potential outcomes. Or perhaps its just my bad luck.

My daily commute involves a 20 mile or so stretch of  two lane road heavily used by gravel trucks, lo-beds with dozers , and all manner of things prone to shedding windshield breaker's. The area was designed to funnel all east -west traffic on one of two roads, the other one is several miles to the north of me and even more busy.

Broken windshields are the least of peoples worries along this stretch, people go thru the stop signs at the side roads that cross this road.  And they frequently get in the way of the 60 - 70 MPH transport trucks / gravel trucks that come along every 30 seconds or so all day long. {Rolling hills, quiet country cross roads, lots of trees, we live in a rain forest here}. A number of fatalities every year for many years now. Flashing lights were recently installed at each cross road, has helped somewhat but lots of people don't pay enough attention. Two or three times a week emerg. vehicles roar down my road, I am on the most direct route between the fire hall / ambulance stn. and the road with the heavy traffic.

Roads would never be built like this today, but our system dates back long before the building boom we have seen for the last 20 years around here. To push thru another East - West corridor would involve purchasing billions of dollars worth of private property, probably not going to happen in my life time.

Greg in Canada

I would agree if the object comes off a vehicle you are following. I generally give the ones in front of me as much space as I can  to give my windshield a fighting chance.  Most of the things that have hit my windshield, headlights , paint etc. have come off trucks going the opposite way. Unless you are prepared to make a u turn on what is often a busy, sometimes narrow or curvy road, often in the dark then perhaps a windshield every year or two might be the least serious of your potential outcomes. Or perhaps its just my bad luck.

My daily commute involves a 20 mile or so stretch of  two lane road heavily used by gravel trucks, lo-beds with dozers , and all manner of things prone to shedding windshield breaker's. The area was designed to funnel all east -west traffic on one of two roads, the other one is several miles to the north of me and even more busy.

Broken windshields are the least of peoples worries along this stretch, people go thru the stop signs at the side roads that cross this road.  And they frequently get in the way of the 60 - 70 MPH transport trucks / gravel trucks that come along every 30 seconds or so all day long. {Rolling hills, quiet country cross roads, lots of trees, we live in a rain forest here}. A number of fatalities every year for many years now. Flashing lights were recently installed at each cross road, has helped somewhat but lots of people don't pay enough attention. Two or three times a week emerg. vehicles roar down my road, I am on the most direct route between the fire hall / ambulance stn. and the road with the heavy traffic.

Roads would never be built like this today, but our system dates back long before the building boom we have seen for the last 20 years around here. To push thru another East - West corridor would involve purchasing billions of dollars worth of private property, probably not going to happen in my life time.

Greg in Canada

The one's I have gotten are from side as you are coming from the lane next in the same direction- you can actually see a rock coming off the tire and follow it's arc to your car. The time before last was very nice, a cement truck overloaded with drum rotating as he is getting onto the FWY with concrete dropping out the back- broke my windshield in three places. After pulling him over and exchanging insurance and by this time the HYW Patrol is there the driver then decides to drive away, only to be stopped again by the officer because the concrete is still pouring out the back. The officer makes the driver pull down the chute and dump some of the concrete on the shoulder before he lets him drive away!

Cort, no problem with the Cosworth.

As far as question number 2 I can understand Florida was the location, no state inspection there and as a part time resident there I had seen some of the biggest POS cars on the road, stuff that should no be driving even in a junk yard, not to mention some of the shakiest tow set-ups I ever saw!

I think question 2 depends on where you live and local DMV rules / degree of enforcement.

In many cases, Greg, I think the key phrase in this sentence is "degree of enforcement".  I know some areas that are so nitpicky, yet other places ... don't really seem to care either way.

I guess the ones who really noticed would be the people like myself who have had to replace a windshield or my case two) from flying rocks. California and Arizona say the tire must be inside the fender, and after a certain height must have a mud flap. Those states also have a bumper height specification. BTW, in Ca. if a rock from a vehicle like the one in your picture did hit and break your windshield you can stop the driver to get insurance information, if the driver does not comply with the information exchange and drives off or will not stop for you the act is considered hit and run.

I'm thinking IL might have a similar law or regulation.  Years ago, someone I used to know always carried 2 cameras with him.  1 was for taking scenic shots &/or pics of cars & the other soley was for taking pics of trucks or other vehicles that had stuff hit his vehicles.  It was kinda crazy ... LOL.

Cool!  Send me some pics or link me to where I can grab some of your Vega! ;)

"The truth is discovered" __ Squeeze __ 'Tempted'

As far as question number 2 I can understand Florida was the location, no state inspection there and as a part time resident there I had seen some of the biggest POS cars on the road, stuff that should no be driving even in a junk yard, not to mention some of the shakiest tow set-ups I ever saw!

Hey John, CA. and AZ. don't have inspections either, however the police / HYW Patrol are versed in these matters. I think it's much better to not have inspections because after inspections people just do what they want. When law enforcement has the responsibility a owner of a car/truck can get pulled anywhere at anytime.

Hey John, CA. and AZ. don't have inspections either, however the police / HYW Patrol are versed in these matters. I think it's much better to not have inspections because after inspections people just do what they want. When law enforcement has the responsibility a owner of a car/truck can get pulled anywhere at anytime.

I have mixed emotions on inspections, I hated inspections in NY but after seeing the dangerous crap driving on the roads in FL, I am starting to feel otherwise.  

• Like 1

Have lived in Florida for a long time. We used to have very thorough inspections but was removed (except for the 6 counties with air quality issues in 1981 and those went away in the '90s).

Problem was the inspection stations would have lines blocks long and that was considered a hazard, you cannot perform a thorough inspection quickly.

Today the highway partrol does what it can but I often see cars with brake lights out or bald tires (I try to avoid I-4 during rush hour when raining) but today, cell phones and texting are the real problems. How good the brakes and tires are do not matter if not applied.

Trucks are different. Covers must be used and I have seen trucks stopped for loose covers or "littering". Of course I tend to leave a lot of space in front (when rearended by a full sized F*rd truck while stopped in traffic a few years ago my 4400 lb SAV was pushed almost 15 feet with my brakes locked but did not reach the car in front). Did collect a large screwdriver one time.

I understand the long line issue, but there is a lot of cars in NYS and about 3/4 of them are in the lower 8 counties, and I never saw a line yet. I just can't believe some of the stuff I had seen on the road down there 

Texting and cellphone use while driving is a problem everywhere! It will not stop until the laws treat the use of one while driving like a DWI or DUI, Maybe there should be a law DWD driving while distracted should be incorporated in the DUI umbrella. If people start loosing their license for 6 months and then have to pay 10K in fines to get it back then it will stop. Sad but the only way that will happen is when a politicians spouse or child dies in an accident

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

I have mixed emotions on inspections, I hated inspections in NY but after seeing the dangerous crap driving on the roads in FL, I am starting to feel otherwise.  

Similar here.  Other than emissions testing here in IL, I've never had an "inspection", at least not like those in PA & NY about which I've heard.  Some, I understand, are very nitpicky.  Yet, they do tend to keep roads safer............

"Finding out the hard way what freedom means" __ Baillie and the Boys __ 'Wilder Days'

Similar here.  Other than emissions testing here in IL, I've never had an "inspection", at least not like those in PA & NY about which I've heard.  Some, I understand, are very nitpicky.  Yet, they do tend to keep roads safer............

"Finding out the hard way what freedom means" __ Baillie and the Boys __ 'Wilder Days'

I really don't know about "nitpicky" anymore, I might have left something out but the NYS safety check but it is tires, wipers(?), brake system, lights, and cracked glass. Stuff that should work.  Emission testing is only on late model vehicles. The problem is the safety check is only a  $10 or $12 fee, not worth the time of the service station. So the problem is finding a station that will do it when you can. Even with an appointment the weather can be a problem. Nobody wants to drive  their pride and joy in a rain storm. Just to get it over with I found it best to buy "lunch" and give a few extra bucks. It can be a real PIA to get it done without leaving the car, or when you can get the car there
Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Part of the Florida inspection was a dynamic brake test on rollers. It was very thorough.

Today all of my cars, even from the last century, are equipped with BlueTooth and Hands Free Phone. One for Judge is in the glove box and I have a remote.. "And one cell phone to rule them all".

ps I had the Pontiac version of the Monza Mirage: 78 Sunbird with 305 4-speed (and not available with air conditioning).

• Like 1

I really don't know about "nitpicky" anymore, I might have left something out but the NYS safety check but it is tires, wipers(?), brake system, lights, and cracked glass. Stuff that should work.  Emission testing is only on late model vehicles. The problem is the safety check is only a  $10 or $12 fee, not worth the time of the service station. So the problem is finding a station that will do it when you can. Even with an appointment the weather can be a problem. Nobody wants to drive  their pride and joy in a rain storm. Just to get it over with I found it best to buy "lunch" and give a few extra bucks. It can be a real PIA to get it done without leaving the car, or when you can get the car there

Ah, understood.

Love that emission testing is only on 1997 & newer vehicles in IL ... don't have to do that at the moment. ;)

"And the simple truth so very much clearer" __ Everything __ 'Hooch'