Dynaflow additive

Chasander

Has anyone had anyone had any luck with transmission additives softening up the seals in there dynaflows?

"Lucas" and "Bars" make transmission leak stoppers.

Chuck

What is the location of the leak?  If it is leaking from the rear or into the torque tube, then disassembly and parts are required.  If leaking from the front, then the front seal or o-ring on the torque converter 'might' respond to and additive (don't use solvent based).  If the seals are 60 years old, then nothing will work.

No external leaks, problem is only in Drive . Can only take off Gently. After 15 MPH or so acceleration gets better. At 30 MPH Acceleration seems normal. Car As set for many years(Took about 6 qts of fluid). I was advised that Lip seals are probably hard. Inspected pan and was very clean. Anyway I put 1/2 can Bars Leak Trans Concentrate in. Will see what happens.

• Like 1

So wait a minute. Is it leaking or running bad? First post asks about a stop leak, then you say there are no external leaks.

Read it s l o w e r Mike.

PS: I wasn't sure until I read post 5. I was kinda reading between the lines because I had suspected a problem with my drive clutch lip seal being hard and not sealing when cold. Mine seemed to improve after warming up.

Edited by TexasJohn55 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Yes Internal "Leaks" Apparently Lip Seals can harden and leak by. causing take off problems. My problem seams to get worse with full warm up.

On another post I was told because the car had set for so long to just drive it and it may improve. I agree pressure testing should be done, will have to find someone with hoist and familiar with dynaflow. Any way I added the Bars Leak and will see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...

Since adding the trans leak, I have put about 100mi on car. Drivability has improved. I did add the other 1/2 of trans sealer. Drove it yesterday. about 8 mi. I can now take off with more acceleration without it running away. Did not have to take off in low at anytime. Things are not perfect yet but improving.

I hope things continue to improve!  There are "sealers" and "seal expanders" as to the types of transmission additives, in addition to "cleaners".  I suspect the fresh fluid is helping more than anything now, as it's replenishing the available additives to the seals and such.  It might not make a "full recovery", but possibly enough of a recovery to be able to enjoy the vehicle and delay the suspected need for a rebuild operation.

NTX5467

• Like 1