65 Riviera 401 Carburetor question

Desmc14

In the attached photo I have outlined in red and yellow exhaust tubes.. ...The yellow one goes to a vacuum (2nd photo) near the distributor... 

The red circle, where does it go, if anywhere?

I think this setup is a Carter 4 Barrel.

post-95375-0-49747800-1434132156_thumb.j

post-95375-0-08600500-1434132344_thumb.j

Thanks much!

The Yellow one is connected to the vacuum advance on the carburetor.  The red one is not a vacuum line. That tube is for a rubber line that supplies fresh filtered air to the hot air choke mechanism.  There should be two steel lines coming from the passenger's side exhaust manifold;. one on the top and one on the bottom.  These lines are connected to a tube that runs through the exhaust manifold.  Air is taken in through the tube at the top of the carb (your red circle) goes down to the bottom of the exhaust manifold tube, is heated as it passes through the tube inside the manifold, and is drawn into the automatic choke housing to heat the choke spring.  If the lower steel tube is missing and you can't connect the "red" tube to it with some rubber hose, don't fret.  No more than you drive your car, and chances are you don't drive it much during the winter, your car will run fine without it.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Bob,

The tube with the white sock around it is the choke side of what I was describing.  Find where it connects to a different tube that's built into the exhaust manifold.  Follow a straight line through the manifold to the bottom, there you'll find the other end of the that tube.  It's on this bottom end where you should be connected to the "red circle" in your first picture.  A formed steel line and some rubber tubing would make up this end of the fresh air supply circuit.

Ed

This link might be of interest:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Automaticchokes.htm

The fifth paragraph describes the need for the tube coming out of the airhorn (to provide filtered air to the automatic choke).

You fellows changing to an electric choke: KEEP THE HOT AIR CHOKE COMPONENTS SO YOU CAN CHANGE IT BACK WHEN YOU GET TIRED OF THE ENGINE STALLING!!!

With a performance manifold (and other performance modifications) on my own car, there was no provision for a hot air choke, so I installed an electric. I ended up changing it to a manual choke because of driveability problems with the electric, and I have a manual transmission! Problem solved!

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

I don't think the tube is designed to be removed from the manifold.  At least I've never seen or heard of it being done.  I looked at Inline Tube's website and couldn't find the part.  Is there any way you can send a link to the part you mentioned?

Ed

Guest Dale in Vancouver

I had the same problem, found it wasn't practical without removing the manifold. Even once out, it was quite a task to remove the tube as I didn't want to damage the manifold. Very difficult to drill out,but finally managed. I had a suitable piece of tube, but was concerned about making it a secure fit. As it was slightly oversized, I threaded a section of the tube, turning the rest to size, and one end of the manifold,  installing and sealing it with Accoustiseal. Has worked fine, with no leaks.

Chuck,  

I have a feeling that that two piece set is for the tubes that connect to the manifold - one from the manifold to the hot air choke, and one from the carb horn to the manifold.  BVE 6301 is not the tube running through the manifold.  I could be wrong but there are not two tubes in the manifold so why would they be selling it as a set of two?  Too bad they don't post a picture of the two tubes, that would make it simple.  

Ed

Guest Dale in Vancouver

Hi Ted. That explains why I had trouble drilling it out.  Now all I have to do is make up a spiral baffle to install  --   Hmmmm !    Thanks, Dale.