Nitrocellulose Lacquer

barry22

Finding Nitrocellulose Lacquer at your local automotive refinishing supply store is essentially impossible, but there are a few companies online that market the paint for use on vehicles, but typically not in quarts. However, musical instrument refinishing supply houses make quarts of Nitrocellulose Lacquer available. Does anyone know if the Nitrocellulose Lacquer offered for refinishing musical instruments is the exact same product used to paint vehicles?

There are several vendors in Hemmings who sell both Nitro and acrylic lacquer. 

Watch out for sellers who advertise acrylic lacquer that uses urethane reducer. That paint falls under the legal definition of Lacquer (for EPA purposes) but is NOT the acrylic lacquer you want. Real lacquer uses lacquer thinner/reducer. 

Hibernia Restoration is the shop in NJ that makes nitrocellulose lacquer.  They advertise in Hemmings I believe.  I think nitrocellulose lacquer offers the deepest finish, especially in black, but it is not as durable as the modern paints.  In the old days you used to see cars advertised for sale with "30 coats of hand rubber lacquer" - that was nitrocellulose lacquer they were using.   It sprays on very thin, and any mistakes you make in painting (runs, ect) can be block sanded & rubbed out rather easily as the paint is softer that what is made today.   It's not used very often today.   It is nice that it's available though, as it's great for touching up an original car. 

I've been refinishing guitars with automotive nitrocellulose lacquer and acrylic lacquer since the 70's. They are essentially the same in performance and application. Never have shot urethane...