F/S 33-34 Factory Dodge/Plymouth luggage rack Lowered Price

KLF

25 minutes ago, danvac1964 said:

I have a 1934 Dodge Coupe and would like to install the lugage rack on it (missing).

Any one else that would have one in good condition or at least restorable?

Thanks,

Dan Vac

I think I can come up with the parts. I’m fighting this Pneumonia deal as we speak . I have another customer in this post also. I’m going to try next week for the parts hunt.

thanks

Dave

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Finding the parts

95B6ED6E-6814-4E7B-ABF0-B575CC9CE4C7.jpeg

F83E7206-5D9F-4039-8B58-EF0A7F0F88BE.jpeg

980A92D2-6FE4-45CA-9A9A-11146C9BCBD6.jpeg

Hi Dave,

I hope you're feeling better!!!!

5 of the brackets appear to be for coupes & the 2 that are stampings are for earlier year Mopar coupes. The catalogue from Al showed the sedan brackets which have a round post that goes through to the same holes in the frame that the spare tire mount attaches to. The part that attaches to the rack are the same for coupes & sedans, along with the curved & straight link plates.

Thanks for the photos, hope you have some for the sedans.

Cheers,

jim

50 minutes ago, jiminyfixit said:

Hi Dave,

I hope you're feeling better!!!!

5 of the brackets appear to be for coupes & the 2 that are stampings are for earlier year Mopar coupes. The catalogue from Al showed the sedan brackets which have a round post that goes through to the same holes in the frame that the spare tire mount attaches to. The part that attaches to the rack are the same for coupes & sedans, along with the curved & straight link plates.

Thanks for the photos, hope you have some for the sedans.

Cheers,

jim

The 2 brackets showing is formed differently around the 3 bolt area.

would you know what goes to what?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

41390C6B-F60C-453C-A44B-837F9FB31A64.jpeg

6E048D6C-5CB9-4FE2-A8BB-5B520061B21E.jpeg

2 minutes ago, countrytravler said:

The 2 brackets showing is formed differently around the 3 bolt area.

would you know what goes to what?

Thanks for your input.

Dave

41390C6B-F60C-453C-A44B-837F9FB31A64.jpeg

6E048D6C-5CB9-4FE2-A8BB-5B520061B21E.jpeg

There are 3 nut inserts in the frame that these bolt attach to....for the coupes. Bill, up in Oregon sent me a photo of his frame that showed this bracket bolt pattern. The frame cross support is bent just like the brackets. I'll see if I can dig up that photo for you.

17 minutes ago, jiminyfixit said:

There are 3 nut inserts in the frame that these bolt attach to....for the coupes. Bill, up in Oregon sent me a photo of his frame that showed this bracket bolt pattern. The frame cross support is bent just like the brackets. I'll see if I can dig up that photo for you.

I couldn't find the frame photo from Bill Fastenow, but if you go to Prev page 1 in this post, you will see the old add from several years ago of a rack with the sedan brackets. The single long post shows well. It has inside threads that bolts go into from the back side of the frame which are in the same locations as the bolt holes for the spare tire mount.

• 1 month later...

I noticed in your original posting that the rack was sold fairly quickly.

I also noticed that the black frame photo posted by TomP looks like 31-32 years, because the 33-34 was shaped without a 90 degree bend in the frame. More of a 30 degree angle like Bill Fastnows' 34 Dodge frame. Chrysler may have used the same frame for coupes & sedans in 34. Anybody know for sure?

I have both frames, 33 Coupe and 34 2dr Sedan, the 34 is a much stronger frame with lightening windows in the X members. I will see if I can get to the rear next week, it's in store waiting for me to finish the 33 restoration.

• Like 1

I would like to help with this discussion. I bought a pair of 1934 coupe trunk rack brackets at the Adair auction in 2020 and attached them to a spare PE sedan chassis I have out back. If you compare the rear of the sedan chassis to Tom's PE coupe chassis you can see they are essentially the same except the sedan has extensions riveted on for the longer body. Extensions on each side for the bumper attachment and a triangular piece riveted to the center for the spare tire mount.

Dennis

20220523_191316.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 34Carrott said:

I would like to help with this discussion. I bought a pair of 1934 coupe trunk rack brackets at the Adair auction in 2020 and attached them to a spare PE sedan chassis I have out back. If you compare the rear of the sedan chassis to Tom's PE coupe chassis you can see they are essentially the same except the sedan has extensions riveted on for the longer body. Extensions on each side for the bumper attachment and a triangular piece riveted to the center for the spare tire mount.

Dennis

20220523_191316.jpg

Very interesting. I wonder how the brackets will exit the body panel. I think there are several rear body shapes for Plymouth in 34, which makes me curious where the mounting holes are for a spare tire rack. Oh, so many questions:). Good photo description Dennis.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 34Carrott said:

Dennis

20220523_191316.jpg

Dennis you've got me thinking now, how long are those frame extensions and are they parallel to the ground. Think that the bed on my 34 was bodged at the rear. Thanks

Tom. The extensions are parallel to the ground, are in two pieces and the bumper hole is 8" from the end of the frame. These are bolted on, not riveted.

Jim, I am working on a Plymouth convertible coupe and the dust pan over the gas tank is the same as a Dodge coupe, convertible or other coupes. I plan on cutting holes in a spare pan and welding up the spare tire holes.  

Also. Does your Brougham have "Two door Sedan" doors? Just curious if the longer wheelbase had longer front doors.

• Like 1

The Brougham front door measures 31 1/4" along the lower part of the belt line just under the door handle. I'm thinking the front doors were all the same so the window frame assemblies would accommodate all models, but I might be wrong. I appreciate this research effort.

1 hour ago, 34Carrott said:

Thank you, Jim. My convertible door has the same dimension.

I acquired a set of convertible window regulators that are 3-1/2" longer and I am trying to figure out what they fit. What 1934 convertible door is 3-1/2" longer?

Possibly the convertible sedan??? I know it too is on the 121" wheelbase & may be a different body structure than the Aero Brougham, which is also on the same 121" base. Both were advertised as "Special 121".  BTW, are you sure they are 34? The 35 pictured in the F.B post may be 3 1/2" longer.  Are you referring to just the regulators or the window frames? If they are regulators, they could be from a different year.

1 minute ago, countrytravler said:

1933 Dodge 4-door sedan that we sold with a luggage rack. 115" wheel base.

1933 Dodge DP 4dr sedan luggage rack (1).JPG

1933 Dodge DP 4dr sedan luggage rack (5).JPG

1933 Dodge DP 4dr sedan luggage rack (6).JPG

1933 Dodge DP 4dr sedan luggage rack (21).JPG

1933 Dodge DP 4dr sedan luggage rack (19).JPG

The right angle back edge gives a clue to the type of brackets I have. The 34 frame has 2, 5/8" diameter holes in the frame for the spare tire carrier which are also the holes used by the luggage rack brackets. The brackets have a post coming off them that is around 3-4 inches long which make the brackets obviously different than the 33's & 34 coupe brackets. I have both of these type of brackets that I would love to trade someone for the "post" type. Here are some photos of the spare tire mount bracket with posts & the coupe luggage rack brackets w/o posts.

P1010651.JPG

P1010652.JPG

P1000964.JPG

On 3/24/2023 at 6:52 PM, 34Carrott said:

Tom. The extensions are parallel to the ground, are in two pieces and the bumper hole is 8" from the end of the frame. These are bolted on, not riveted.

I plan on cutting holes in a spare pan and welding up the spare tire holes.  

Dennis I have these pics on file which I used in another thread which might help you. The Grommets are 4 1/2" x  4 3/4" high, the hole in the gas tank shield are 3"sq with 3/4" corner rads.

IMG_5076.JPG.543021aab2f3c74e8d11cff5f37e0fbc.JPG21" between inside edge

IMG_5078.JPG.54bb991d56cd0cb894c6a2b7a267a7d6.JPG27" across outside edges.

IMG_5080.JPG.1879ab1cceecd3b9da15742907e27116.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG.d2dd142210a7200ddb4080f77cefa493.JPG

All these dims. are from my 1933 PD Coupe.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Just found these. Part of the spare tire, luggage rack?

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

These have the correct, long studs with bolts going up through the middle. I need to look at the photos of the sedan brackets with the rest of the hardware to see if these are correct. The missing links may be the same as the coupes. I will get back to you. Thanks Dave.

19 hours ago, jiminyfixit said:

These have the correct, long studs with bolts going up through the middle. I need to look at the photos of the sedan brackets with the rest of the hardware to see if these are correct. The missing links may be the same as the coupes. I will get back to you. Thanks Dave.

Okay 

Thanks

Dave