Excalibur class?

I don't beleive Excaliburs qualify for AACA as they are considered replicas.<p>[ 06-29-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

With all the hoorah about a street rod class you would think that this would actually be a more important area for the board to consider: These cars were actually built as low volume production cars, it is relatively well documented how they were built, and many of them are now more than 25 years old. So, in fact, they fit the current definition of cars that are acceptable for showing in AACA events. Except that they are rejected as replicars.<P>When those cars were new much of the AACA membership was horrified and filled with revulsion. Simply because they were new cars that resembled, in some regards, older cars. That revulsion seems to have survived the decades.<P>What are we going to do in future years when thing like the PT Cruiser and Plymouth Prowler qualify? Reject them because they have some styling that vaguely reflects panel vans of the 1940s or, horrors, street rods of the 1940s and early 1950s?<P>I was also negative about the 1970s Shay replica Model A cars. But I am almost tempted now to find one and bring it to an AACA event an register it in the appropriate 1970s judging class. smile.gif" border="0

None of the so called replicars copied the original all that well (modern engines, fiberglass bodies etc). They were low production manufactures of a car that resembled an earlier car. Seems like they would just be in the appropriate production class for their year of production.<P>Jim...

As a member of AACA and an owner of a Shay I would hope that when my Shay (1980) becomes 25 years old it will certainly be eligible to be judged in the appropriate class of that year of manufacture. The Shay was only built in a production line and sold only through Ford Dealerships with a 12 month 12,000 mile warranty. I appreciate any comments this forum has on this subject.

Was your Maytag ever licensed for operation on public roads?<P>My guess is no. I'd also guess that the Shay and Excalibur were. Like it or not they were/are cars.

Just curious, but does anyone have production numbers for the Excaliber or the Shay? Could these numbers equal or exceed those of some of the obscure carriage makers of the early 20th century that are accepted with open arms? My feeling is that it doesn't matter when you formed a company to produce automobiles and whether or not the venture succeeded, that company is part of our automobile history. By the same token, don't confuse "manufacturers" with "kit companies" like Fibre-Fab. If a manufacturer of automobiles tried to market an assembled automobile and failed after a year or two, is it that much different if the manufacturer existed in 1902 or 1962? frown.gif" border="0 <BR>I think you have to separate the manufacturers of a complete automobile from those producing "kits".<BR>How about conversion vans based on a Chevy, Dodge or Ford chassis? I don't know about your state but, in NY, they're titled as a "Citation", "Mark III" or some other manufacturer. shocked.gif" border="0 <BR>Don't know what else to say so I'll quit for now. wink.gif" border="0

Hey Maytag-- If your Maytag is one of the 427 cars built in 1910 or one of the 338 cars built in 1911 then I am sure there is room for it on any AACA show field.<P>Oops. That total production run is less than the 5000 that herbl says Shay made. Maybe they won't be accepted after all.<P>On the other hand if I read the Standard Catalog correctly, it looks like the entire production of the Duryea company from 1893 through 1917 was less than 1,000. So I guess by that measure the AACA's emblem car would not qualify to be shown at a meet. grin.gif" border="0 <P>Clearly this is nonsense. I personally don't like Excaliburs or Shays. But then I don't really like AMC Pacers either. But they meet all the objective criteria I can think of for inclusion in the production car class appropriate to the year they were made.

fordee9r ~ All of your points are well taken and I can see no justification for excluding those two makes, and possibly others like them.<P>ply33 ~ I don't particularly care for them either, but that is irrelevent. They belong on the field as much as Hot Rods, Stock Cars, Rail Dragsters, Mini Scooters and probably other vehicles AACA has accepted for years.<P>Unregistered Curious ~ Were the Indy Racers that have been shown, and won 1st Jr. and Senior awards at Hershey licensed for operation on public roads? Somehow I doubt it. You'll have to come up with a better reason for turning Maytag away. wink.gif" border="0 <P>Now please don't anybody start announcing that HVS wants to admit washing machines. Just playing the devil's advocate here. rolleyes.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Throw two more vehicles in the mix. The Avanti I think has been manufactured by at least 3 or 4 different companys. They look very similar however I think the later ones may be made out of fiberglass with different shaped headlights? I think a company in Pittsburgh now owns the rights to production.<P>I also saw the reproduction Tucker at Atlantic City this winter and as I understand it there will be 51 cars made to match the orginials. The car exterior looked exactly like a Tucker however it had a modern interior, engine, etc. In 25 years will this car be AACA approved? Just wondering.

Guest stude8

For Excalibur data try this site <A HREF="http://www.excaliburclassics.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.excaliburclassics.com/</A> <BR>Alice Preston is about as knowledgable about Excals as anyone around, she built most of them.<BR>For Avanti, we don't have enough space to do the whole history but they are being built again in Villa Rica, GA try <A HREF="http://www.avantimotors.com" TARGET=_blank>www.avantimotors.com</A> <BR>Stude8

• 1 month later...

Regarding the Maytag washer with 4 wheels and a motor...look at the motorbike class at any large show and you will usually see several "dirtbikes" being judged that NEVER were and NEVER could have been licensed for hiway use....I'm thinking of entering my John Deere 210 lawn tractor....