New car prices in 1939

Howdy again from Oz,

Many of you would have spotted my previous posts before, here's another question for Y'all. As the proud owner of a 1939 Chrysler Royal, I wondered how new family car prices in the USA of that year compared I.E '39 Chrysler Royal versus 39 Chev, 39 Ford, 39 Buick Etc ??

I would appreciate your knowledgeable feed back and interesting discussion,

Thanks in advance.

The list price of the basic Ford or Chevrolet sedan was under $700. That was what they printed in their advertising, it would probably cost a little more for shipping, dealer prep and accessories but the base price was under $700.

Chrysler Royal was Chrysler's lowest priced model but that did not mean it was a "tin lizzie". All Chryslers were medium priced and high priced cars. Even the Royal was better equipped and had nicer appointments than cheap cars. The Royal would be comparable to the Buick Special, Packard 110 or 120, Studebaker Commander or Hudson Commodore Six.

Chrysler's lineup at the time in order of cost was Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler Royal and Windsor six, Chrysler Saratoga 8, New Yorker 8 and Imperial 8.

Driving a Chrysler at that time put you solidly in the middle class.

$1000 was equivalent to 200 pounds at that time. Compare your Chrysler to a 200 pound English car and you will quickly see why they imposed such high tariffs, and high road taxes on American cars.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I'm trying to think what English cars your first owner might have looked at when he was shopping for a car and am drawing a blank.

Rolls Royce and Bentley were in a completely different class. Jaguar was still building sports cars and cads' cars in 1939. How about Humber, Sunbeam, Wolseley or Rover? I think they were all building six cylinder sedans for the middle class. I don't know how they would compare to your Chrysler but on a value for money basis the Chrysler would take some beating.

Some car prices from 1939:

Chevrolet Master coupe $628 Master Deluxe 4 door sport sedan $766

Wolseley Ten, a four cylinder 1140cc "upmarket" saloon, L215 or $935 US http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolseley_Ten

Lowest priced Cadillac, the new model 61 at $1345

Pontiac 4 door sedan, Quality Six model, $925 Deluxe Six, $985 Deluxe Eight, $1035. Lowest price Pontiac, Quality Six coupe $815

What is a Schmick?

Interesting to note that my car was bought brand new by a traveling Catholic priest in 1939 , it was then purchased after 12 months by the family I bought it from after being in their family for 75 years. It was firstly then commissioned by them as a Taxi cab servicing a large war time rural army camp to enlisted visiting US servicemen, then later as a wedding and Funeral car.

How on earth could a Catholic Priest afford to buy a brand new Chrysler in 1939, God only knows ???

Priests are not necessarily broke. Some have private income, or support from family and friends. They are allowed to earn money within certain restrictions.

Sounds like your car had a lot of use! Do you have any service records or firm idea how many miles are on it?

Although your question is to another post I will add my grandfather was a school teacher in New York. We have the car and it has 107,000 miles. I have had it 42 years and it still retails it's original paint, interior, and engine. Somehow it made it through my high school years! It is a VCCA HPOCF and runs great.

My Aussie 39 Chrysler has had the speedo previously "Recond" ??

As it did time as a cab I assume lots of miles. This was also indicated by the worn out condition of the door handle and window winder mechanisms. This was a nightmare because Aussie cars were assembled with locally made mechanisms using diecast splined handle mechanisms similar to 40's Chevs.

Australian spares do not exist so I had to spend unmentionable time chasing 39 Chrysler parts on Ebay so I could convert my car to the more readily available American square shaft system !

She is nearly finished now, only have to fit the door trims and tidy up a few other things.