Does anyone know if inner tubes for 31x4 tires are available? My grandfather and I are looking at a car and I can find 31x4 tires but not tubes. However, I did read on another thread that you can use a 30x3-1/2 tube in a 31x4 tire. Is this safe? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Vintagecarguy.

Restorer32, Thank you very much. Do you know if 31x4 inner tubes are still available? And, out of curiosity, why wouldn't you use a bigger inner tube? Is it because a bigger inner tube wouldn't inflate fully in the smaller tire? Thank you again Restorer32 for your help. Vintagecarguy.

Vintagecarguy, I see you are in Conn. If you call Eric at Universal, he will be in Rhinebeck this coming weekend and will bring your order for tubes with him to save you shipping. Give him the size of your tire and he will recommend the tube to fit.

Frank

I had a flat tire on my Franklin about a year ago. The old innertube was labelled "32x4." Could not find an exact 32x4 replacement. What I had to buy was a "small combo" sized inner tube. Call one of the nationally known antique tire companies and ask the help desk - you'll probably end up buying that size, too.

A word of caution: no inner tubes are manufactured in the US, so quality can be spotty. The first inner tube I installed lasted about 30 miles before the stem snapped off. I had received advice on this forum on how to properly change the tube and am convinced I did nothing wrong. The second tube I installed is working great ( 400 miles and going strong).

So, carefully install the tube & if it fails, don't be afraid to ask for a free replacement.

I bought my first innertube from a local dealer & couldn't get a refund. I bought my replacement from Coker Tire and they will get my future business - they offered in advance to replace the tube if something went wrong

A larger tube will fold and crack along the fold line. Why, I don't know, but it will. It was common back in the day for folks to substitute a smaller tube to save a buck or two, especially with truck or bus fleets.

Restorer32,

Well, if a smaller inner tube is good enough for a bus or a truck it should be fine for a ~2000 pound car! Thank you again for the help. Vintagecarguy.

I had a flat tire on my Franklin about a year ago. The old innertube was labelled "32x4." Could not find an exact 32x4 replacement. What I had to buy was a "small combo" sized inner tube. Call one of the nationally known antique tire companies and ask the help desk - you'll probably end up buying that size, too.

A word of caution: no inner tubes are manufactured in the US, so quality can be spotty. The first inner tube I installed lasted about 30 miles before the stem snapped off. I had received advice on this forum on how to properly change the tube and am convinced I did nothing wrong. The second tube I installed is working great ( 400 miles and going strong).

So, carefully install the tube & if it fails, don't be afraid to ask for a free replacement.

I bought my first innertube from a local dealer & couldn't get a refund. I bought my replacement from Coker Tire and they will get my future business - they offered in advance to replace the tube if something went wrong

RansomEli, Thank you for the advice. The vintage/antique car hobby is a funny thing when it comes to finding all the parts and supplies. It never occurred to me that inner tubes would not be available in the same size as the tires. Thank you again for your help. Vintagecarguy.

cahartley, Thank you for the link. I couldn't seem to find 31x4 inner tubes. Why do they have 30x3-1/2 and 32x4 inner tubes but no 31x4 inner tubes? I read on a Model T club Forum that 30x3-1/2 tires were considered obsolete by the 1920s in favor of 31x4s. Is there any truth to this, if so, why are 31x4 tubes hard to come by? cahartley, thank you again for the link. Vintagecarguy.

You are entirely welcome! Happy to help.

I don't think 31 × 4 ever set the world on fire.........32 × 4 either.

I'd like a 32 × 4 for my Dodge but don't want to have to mortgage the car for one tube and tire.

30 × 3 1/2's were used into the later 20's in HUGE numbers.......that's why they are fairly cheap to buy today.

30 × 3 1/2 Clinchers on the other hand........ :eek:

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)

You are entirely welcome! Happy to help.

I don't think 31 × 4 ever set the world on fire.........32 × 4 either.

I'd like a 32 × 4 for my Dodge but don't want to have to mortgage the car for one tube and tire.

30 × 3 1/2's were used into the later 20's in HUGE numbers.......that's why they are fairly cheap to buy today.

30 × 3 1/2 Clinchers on the other hand........ :eek:

cahartley, thank you again . I have to ask what you meant by, "30 x 3-1/2 Clinchers on the other hand........ :eek:?" I am a little naive when it comes to early tires. Other than knowing that they need tubes, and higher pressure I don't know too much more. My only experience with Clincher rims was on my grandfather '22 and '23 Model Ts. Thank you again cahartley. Vintagecarguy.

Model T's are exactly what I'm talking about....... :)

I've had 4........still have two which I THINK are keepers....... :rolleyes: ........but only the '19 uses clinchers.

That said, my good old fashioned SERVICE station (yes they still exist) much prefers changing clinchers for me than split rim tires.

Model T's are exactly what I'm talking about....... :)

I've had 4........still have two which I THINK are keepers....... :rolleyes: ........but only the '19 uses clinchers.

That said, my good old fashioned SERVICE station (yes they still exist) much prefers changing clinchers for me than split rim tires.

cahartley, thanks again. I remember split rims from when my grandfather had a 1939 Chevy 1-1/2 ton dump truck. Luckily, we never had to change the tires. Thanks again cahartley. Vintagecarguy.