Nailhead rocker shafts

RivNut

I'm putting the rebuilt nailhead into my '64 and everything is either new or rebuilt except for the rocker shaft assemblies. I've not been able to find any details on disassembling, cleaning / renewing, and reassembling. Does anyone has any data on doing this?

Thanks,

Ed

Ed,

Most likely you will want to install new shafts at a minimum. Number each rocker and mark one end of the shaft with a file mark or other means so you have a reference point. Remove the cotter pin/washer and slide the first arm off. Next (a press is preferred but not required) so with a suitable vise move the next arm full away from first stand-off compressing the spring. Rest the stand-off mount on top of the vise and using a rubber or plastic mallet or block of wood and hammer tap down on the shaft to free it then repeat process for others. The shaft has a slight raised area where the mount fits for a light press fit.

Caution must be used not to mar or damage the aluminum mount. If it seems real tight apply some heat rather than getting a bigger hammer.

Most likely you'll see worn places on the shaft on the load side of rocker arms and same with rockers. You'll need to access how much wear and if replacement is needed. Also check the steel rocker arm pad where valve stem rests for excess wear

If you reuse the original shafts there are press fit plugs in each end. Knock these out so the shaft can be cleaned. New Ones are available.

Going back together note the location of the large oil passage hole in shaft and be sure to line up with hole in stand-off when re-installing them in same method as removal. When reinstalling the assembly on the engine

with all push rods aligned draw the mounting bolts down a little at a time in an effort to keep the shaft straight. I got new shafts from Tom Telesco. He he relieves some material at each oil passage to promote better flow.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)