Obtaining title for older classic (Not registered since 1972)

Guest Familymatters

Guest Familymatters

Hello all,

I have a '62 Cadillac Series 62 that was purchased new by my grandmother and was passed to my dad who passed away 10 years ago leaving it to me. My dilemma is that I am unsure if he formally changed ownership in the 25 years he had it, and for reasons that are irrelevant (probably laziness) I have not attempted to formally take ownership. The only piece of info available is a California pink slip from 1972 showing my grandmother as the owner. It is all very much above board, but I am hoping to avoid tracking down the paper chain proving it as it would be exceedingly difficult. I believe I have determined that you cannot do a VIN search as the where not standardized at the time and, since it hasn't even been registered as a driver over its long, boring life in a garage aside from a temp tag in 1986, I am coming closer to the conclusion that any info on file is long gone.

I believe that I can go in and apply for a lost title without concern of any red tape causing me grief, but thought I would ask the folks who might have some experience with situations like this and see if there may be a better way to go about this.

I am an Oregon resident, in case that's relevant, and I can provide proof (by notarized statements if nothing else) of my right to own/sell/gift the vehicle.

Hoping somebody has some insight!

Also looking to sell, though I know that is for another forum.

Thank you very much.

T

Guest AlCapone

Just don't buy a title from one of the title peddlers. It is a quick and easy way to go to jail and or lose the car. Wayne

Guest Familymatters

Right, I intend to go through Oregon DMV to ensure it is legitimate. Just seeing if anyone has knowledge of how ownership is tracked for vehicles in these seemingly rare circumstances. Thank you sir!

Your circumstance is not that unusual. Oregon DMV should be able to tell you who the current titled owner. If it is sill in your grandmother's name, you will need to know who the administrator of her estate was. If that was your father, you will need to know who the administrator of his estate was. The courthouse where the wills are filed will issue letters authorizing the current living executor to sign for the titled owner. You will need most likely need a living administrator to request the duplicate title and then sign the title over to you. Not difficult, but a little time consuming. Start with the DMV and they will tell you exactly what is needed. DMV will have the files.

Guest AlCapone
Your circumstance is not that unusual. Oregon DMV should be able to tell you who the current titled owner. If it is sill in your grandmother's name, you will need to know who the administrator of her estate was. If that was your father, you will need to know who the administrator of his estate was. The courthouse where the wills are filed will issue letters authorizing the current living executor to sign for the titled owner. You will need most likely need a living administrator to request the duplicate title and then sign the title over to you. Not difficult, but a little time consuming. Start with the DMV and they will tell you exactly what is needed. DMV will have the files.

Very, very good advice. The legal way is always the right way and you don't have to keep looking over your shoulder or wait for the knock at the door !

Wayne

I just re-read your original post. Since you have a CA pink slip, you may have to start the search with CA DMV. If your dad lived in a different state, you may have to search that state as well to see if he did title it. Since there was a temp tag issued in 1986, that state may be the one where the title was last issued. Most states will not issue a temp tag without proof of ownership and transfer of title.

Hope this helps.

Just spread your paperwork out at the DMV and say "I'd like to get our car registered". Don't tell them what you have learned or assist in any way other than to answer their questions. They may not have any.

I had a legal, but kind of convoluted handful of paperwork last June when I licensed my Packard. I just said "I'd like to get our car registered". Well, I did put the Rolex in my pocket and put on my US Navy veteran's cap that reads "USS Arlington 1966-1970".

It went smooth.

Bernie

Familymatters,

I am in Oregon as well. I recently bought a 46 Chrysler out of California. The seller had an older pink slip and the numbers matched the vin on the car.

The best way to do this is to take the car to the DMV as it will need a vin inspection being it is an out of state car.

I would simply hand over the pink tell them it was you grandmothers car and ask to transfer and register. I did this and there were no problems.

I only transferred ownership as I don't yet have a 1946 license plate, but the car wont run for another year anyway.

As we all know, if they hassle you try another DMV office.

Anybody out there have a set (or single) 46 Oregon plate in good shape for cheap? I have other years for swapping.

Guest Familymatters

That's what I was thinking, all other advice is sound but is precisely what I was trying to avoid by seeking advice on this forum. Thanks everyone for the speedy replies!