1923 6 Cylinder Valve Springs

Brian_Heil

Rod, send me a private email and I will help you get a set of valve springs for your 1920. I had a spring company make new valve springs for my 1916, 1920, and 1922. They made the springs from the original Buick Motor Company Engineering Drawings. The cost really isn't all that bad for springs that will work exactly like the originals did.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

terrywiegand@prodigy.net

I have a few valve springs for 26 Buick standard, Don't know if they are the same.

Steve[

QUOTE=Brian_Heil;1395724]Ray Brown is puting together an order for 1923 6 cylinder Valve Springs. Cost will depend on response. Not sure what other years these will fit.

Send me an email and I will forward it to Ray and you can communicate with him directly.

Thx!

Tom, the original part number and drawing for the 1916 6-cylinder engines is 33845. The 1916 6-cylinder engine used the same size intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust valve increased in diameter beginning with the 1918 models. One would think that the spring diameter would have increased also, but, they did not. I did not have factory drawings for the springs past 1918. The springs in my 1920 and 1922 engines use the same diameter of wire, the same number of coils, the same outside diameter, and the same free length. I am using the same springs in all three engines with excellent results. The critical issue is the spring pressure at the compressed overall length. I had them all made to the same engineering callout and things work perfectly. I hope this answers your question(s).

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Tom, the original part number and drawing for the 1916 6-cylinder engines is 33845. The 1916 6-cylinder engine used the same size intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust valve increased in diameter beginning with the 1918 models. One would think that the spring diameter would have increased also, but, they did not. I did not have factory drawings for the springs past 1918. The springs in my 1920 and 1922 engines use the same diameter of wire, the same number of coils, the same outside diameter, and the same free length. I am using the same springs in all three engines with excellent results. The critical issue is the spring pressure at the compressed overall length. I had them all made to the same engineering callout and things work perfectly. I hope this answers your question(s).

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Thanks Terry the long and short of it you use the same springs from 16 to 22 with good results

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Just out of curiousity, did your valve spring manufacturer also shot peen the springs?

I had the springs made to the exact engineering specifications per the engineering drawing. I do not know for sure if the peening process was called for or not. If it was specified on the drawing, then this was done, otherwise no. I have the drawing copies tucked away and have not looked at them since the springs were made.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas