Rear air shock suggestions for a 63?

JanZverina

Thanks Rockit,

I'd just like to add a little height to the rear of my '63 without spending a big chunk of $$ on air suspension kits, etc. It see the Monroe Sensa-trac shocks but I'm not sure they'd make the rear sit any higher. Has anyone installed new springs in the rear of a '63 to lift the tail just a bit? If so, I'd like to hear from you regarding some details including a part # and source.

Any help appreciated - apparently after extensive Googling, it looks as if no one makes rear air shocks for a '63 Riv any more.

Thanks John - I see them here. Can someone just confirm that rear shocks are the same for 63-65 Rivs? Plus the Kanter website goes only as far as "1963 Buick" - it does not ask by model such as Riviera, LeSabre, etc. I will call tomorrow but any guidance from the forum is always welcome.

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1900&MakeName=Buick&MakeYear=1963&CategoryID=89&ProductCode=311&Router=Catalog

Thanks, Ed - I knew I could count on you. So that tells me that 63-65 apps are the same here for Rivs, but I'll have to call Kanter to see if this actually fits Rivieras as well as other full-sized Buicks since they don't specify. What makes me wonder is that I doubt rear shock apps were the same across the board for '63 including the compact Specials/Skylarks.

Thanks again!

You can expand the "fitment" of the parts numbers I gave you. There's a tab in the link I sent that shows the other Buicks they fit. They go back a few years and fit different Buick models, BUT each model is the full sized LeSabre, Wildcat, Electra, or Riviera.

Vern, the "old guy" at the local Advance Autoparts store, showed me how to look at shocks in his books. You have an extended length, a compressed length, and you have to match the type of mounts on the top and the bottom. Before Monroe started making this exact fit shock, we used to have to find something close. In a very old Riview, there is a reference to a Dodge Pickup part for the front shock and something weird for the back one. I would hope that Kanter could tell you this info and you can then judge for yourself if they'll work. Before that though, you'll need to find the same info for the Monroes.

Ed

Has anyone else besides johnrex had any experience with these air shocks from Kanter?

https://www.kanter.com/productdetail.aspx?DeptNo=1900&MakeName=Buick&MakeYear=1963&CategoryID=89&ProductCode=311&Router=Catalog

The Kanter rep tells me they're "a generic brand made for early model cars" and he doesn't have any specs available, such as compressed and expanded lengths. I've ordered a few parts from Kanter through the years and have never been too thrilled with the quality, although I realize that numerous vendors in the car parts business may be sourcing the same stuff from various Tier 2 or Tier 3 suppliers. Any input appreciated!

Johnrex, do you remember of the rubber bushings came with those Kanter air shocks, or did you have to source them from somewhere else? The rep says "bushings not available" so I'm trying to get more info from him. I'm not crazy about having to buy those Monroe 5760s just for the bushings but if that's what I have to do I will. Any ideas appreciated from any forum members!

Johnrex, do you remember of the rubber bushings came with those Kanter air shocks, or did you have to source them from somewhere else? The rep says "bushings not available" so I'm trying to get more info from him. I'm not crazy about having to buy those Monroe 5760s just for the bushings but if that's what I have to do I will. Any ideas appreciated from any forum members!

While it was a long time ago, my air shocks came with bushings. It was a simple matter to install.

Thanks, Cool 57. I spoke with a Gabriel tech and he said while there's no longer a specific application for a '63 Riv air shock, part #49311 (for Toyota/Nissan/Isuzu SUVs!) is a close match and should fit. But, (there's always a but)... The extended length of the Gabriel shock is about 3 inches less, but the tech said this shouldn't be a problem unless I'm stunt driving my Riv. The other is that the lower mount rubber bushings don't include a steel sleeve on the 49311s so he said the shocks could make a "clunk" as they move up and down. Does anyone know if it would be an easy thing to drill out a bit of the lower bushing and install a sleeve? The Garbriel tech would only say that's doable but he said he's not allowed recommend this, for liability reasons. Any and all suggestions welcome from forum members. BTW here's the link to the 49311s.

http://gabriel.com/product-search/light-vehicle-detailed-specs/?partnum=49311

Hi Kaber,

The Gabriel 49311 air shocks just arrived for pickup at my local AutoZone so I'll get them tomorrow. As mentioned, the rubber bushings in the lower mounts don't include a steel sleeve so I need to figure out how to open up the inside diameter of the bushing a bit and press in a steel sleeve. The rusty looking NAPA non-air shocks are still on the car - I soaked the upper and lower mount bolts in penetrating oil during the last week in hopes it will make removal easier. Once I have one out I can compare them to the new ones and see what I have to do.

Hi Kaber,

The Gabriel 49311 air shocks just arrived for pickup at my local AutoZone so I'll get them tomorrow. As mentioned, the rubber bushings in the lower mounts don't include a steel sleeve so I need to figure out how to open up the inside diameter of the bushing a bit and press in a steel sleeve. The rusty looking NAPA non-air shocks are still on the car - I soaked the upper and lower mount bolts in penetrating oil during the last week in hopes it will make removal easier. Once I have one out I can compare them to the new ones and see what I have to do.

I faintly remember, in the 80`s, it was common place to use Chevrolet pickup shocks for the rear of the first gen Rivs. At that time nothing was available by application because the cars were just well used cars and not very collectible/valuable so the major suppliers dropped listings for the first gen cars.

Tom Mooney

You're correct, Tom. I located an older thread that mentioned the application for early 80s' Chevy C10s, and called a Gabriel tech about them, who was very helpful in looking up the upper and lower mounting codes, extended and compressed lengths, etc. He said these 49311s looked to be a better match but that I should use a metal sleeve in the lower rubber bushing to minimize any up and down movement. I'll know for sure when I look at them side by side. Thanks!