Starter motor cable for 1st Gen. Rivs

RivNut

I was doing more detail work in the engine comparment today after having taken the STV valve, a/c hoses, and evaporator off the car. I got to the other side and saw that the woven mesh wire loom that covers the cable from the horn relay to the starter solenoid was really dirty and falling apart. I knew that CARS sold woven mesh so I started cutting away the old one. When I got to the end where the cable connects to the solenoid, the cable was brittle and the insulation was coming off. I thought "I'll call the parts store and get a new one." WRONG. I then looked for that wire on both the CARS website and the Classic Buick website. NO ONE sells the proper cable with the 90* lug on it so you can connect it to the solenoid.

Does anyone know where a fellow can get this unique cable? 2 gauge, 32" from eyelet to eyelet. One end is a typical 180* end, but the other has this 90* lug on the end of it so it will pass under the other two small posts on the solenoid. What's being sold as the correct wire has two 180* ends on it, and there's not really room to make that work with the heat shield above the solenoid and the starter below the solenoid.

What have you frame off guys or anyone else done to replace this cable? Thanks,

Ed

Good idea. In the meantime, I was looking at a couple of other starter motors that were lying on the shelf and one of them has the main cable post offset from the two smaller ones. A 180* end would work on that particular solenoid. I now have to see if the two starters are interchangeable.

Ed

OK Ed: Coincidentally I'm there too. I ordered a few parts from Russ and asked him about that wire. He was quite clear about the fact there were no reproductions out there. I'm just going to tape mine up as best I can. It looks like winds from the battery relay through a clamp underneath the washer jug in front of the power steering hose, resting on the steering box and in back of the inner fender. Then to the starter. Did I miss something? Mitch

I suggest you try contacting The Brillman Company, they specialize in reproduction auto electrical items. Here is a link to their on-line catalog:

https://www.brillman.com/assets/images/general/Brillman_Catalog_1-14.pdf

I looked through the battery cable terminals and saw what they call a "flag" cable lug which appears to be the 90 degree cable end you need. They can probably make you a complete new cable with the correct cloth covered wire and provide the asphalt impregnated cloth wire conduit as well. I have purchased battery cables and ignition wires from them in the past and their quality is very good.

Edited by 48Super (see edit history)

I suggest you try contacting The Brillman Company, they specialize in reproduction auto electrical items. Here is a link to their on-line catalog:

https://www.brillman.com/assets/images/general/Brillman_Catalog_1-14.pdf

I looked through the battery cable terminals and saw what they call a "flag" terminal which appears to be the 90 degree cable end you need. They can probably make you a complete new cable with the correct cloth covered wire and provide the asphalt impregnated cloth wire conduit as well. I have purchased battery cables and ignition wires from them in the past and their quality is very good.

Great!

If anyone else is interested. Here's the part number.

#BG-38-F, Flag Type Battery Cable Lug (3/8” Hole) $3.25