Removable hard top?

Nittany

Reading the TargaTop thread reminded me of a question that I haven't seen addressed on the Forum . . . was there ever a hard top designed for the Reatta convertible? I guess I'd like to mirror the setup some Mercedes convertibles (as an example) which came with a hard top that might be installed during the winter months and removed and stored during nicer weather.

Thanks for any thoughts, designs, pictures etc. I understand a Sawzall may be involved with building a hard top today, but I'm looking to complete this project in the next year or so and I want it to look "factory". :)

Yes, there was. Apparently ASC took it upon themselves to make a couple of hard tops for show, probably in an effort to persuade GM to offer them as an option. There are two pictures I've seen, one white car and one red. I distinctly remember one car has 100 spoke Dayton wire wheels, and I know I have the pictures on one of my computers. I recall thinking the hard top kind of resembled a Maserati/Chrysler TC based on it's shape at the rear. Which is not to say it looked bad, by any means.

I suppose a good fiberglass artiste could make one (would be an expensive one off) but clearly it could be done. I'd love to do one if I had the skills or money to have it fabbed. When I change my convertible top, I am going to keep the rear glass window from the old top on the chance I might make one eventually, slim as that may be.

One would also need the first bow latch assemblies and fifth bow fastening cams to engineer into to the hard top so it could be secured to the car. Weather strip could probably be adapted from a coupe if the hard top were shaped just right along the the top and rear edges of the side windows. This is a dream project for me, as it would be the ultimate combination of coupe and roadster. Like an Allanté, only way cooler (well, in my opinion anyway).

KDirk

No removable hardtop was available. It appears ASC (American Sunroof) made at least one trying to persuade Buick to make it an option. The white care below appears to be a '91 because of the bright red dash but it has ASC plate on the back and Dayton wire wheels. I also have a picture of a Red convertible with a red top and that car appears to be an early convertible prototype as the dash is square like the '88-89 cars. The photos are the only documentation that has been found.

post-30596-143142959251_thumb.jpg

Guest my3buicks

I never figured out the total need for removable hardtops. Now as your only car maybe. My two convertibles have been very tight and with the padded top and rear window defogger I don't see a major need. Mostly ones on other brands get relished to the back of the garage taking up soace and never used. With the very small number of Reatta convertibles built inam sure there was not enough demand to make it an all profitable. You take into account the cars that live in the south, the ones the people that sit in the garage is over winter that would be very few that would've been looking for a removable hardtop

Keith,

You are correct in that the need really isn't there in most cases. Really, it's just something I want for the sake of having it. Stupid and unnecessary? Maybe. It would be neat to have just as a custom accessory to set my car apart from any other. Like you said though, my drop top spends its winters in storage, so it's unlikely to be needed especially with a good properly fitted soft top.

Just my obsessive tendency to want to do things differently, as usual. A habit I've been unable to break despite trying.

KDirk

Guest PontiacDude210

There is an aftermarket hatchback for the IROC generation Camaro that turns it into a notch back. I almost bought one three months ago (an IROC with this hatch). I would love to build a fiberglass top for a Reatta with a similar idea.

Guest my3buicks
Keith,

You are correct in that the need really isn't there in most cases. Really, it's just something I want for the sake of having it. Stupid and unnecessary? Maybe. It would be neat to have just as a custom accessory to set my car apart from any other. Like you said though, my drop top spends its winters in storage, so it's unlikely to be needed especially with a good properly fitted soft top.

Just my obsessive tendency to want to do things differently, as usual. A habit I've been unable to break despite trying.

KDirk

Prior to buying the red conv. I was seriously considering one of the last model Thunderbirds, i was torn as i was looking at them as to wether or not to get one with a hard top or not. If I had bought one of those I probably would've driven it in the winter months if the weather was good at times, so I might've actually used the hardtop. Of course the red convertible will never ever see snow, salt. It ihas actually never been driven in the rain, so this summer traveling to all the national meets it's going to chances are it will finally after 25 years hit some rain driving

Have thought that if i ever buy another convertible it will be a retractible. For me the issue is that the coupe is much easier to cool down with the AC than the 'vert and is just not as "tight". OTOH I rarely put up the top on the 'vert.

Guest my3buicks

The opposite should be the case, the coupe with it's huge rear window should be harder to cool unless it's a black convertible top. I found both my convertibles tighter and quieter than either of my coupes, and the interior much darker in the conv with top up.