1970 Buick Estate Wagon Front Emblem

Guest lt4brent

Guest lt4brent

I'm looking for a front bumber emblem for a 1970 Buick Estate Wagon -- both the bezel surround and the tri-shield emblem insert. Any leads to finding this part would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Brent

You and every other 1970 full-sized Buick owner...! That front bumper emblem for 1970 is probably the most elusive, wanted, and impossible to find item for any Buick of the 1970s. Trust me, you're not going to find one, unless someone discovers one in grandpa's attic somewhere, and then it will be $300. John and Joyce Williams in Charleston, Illinois sell reproductions for $100. They aren't an exact match, but they are better than nothing.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1970 Wildcat 3-speed

and other Buicks

post-32059-143142945129_thumb.jpg

Guest lt4brent

Thanks Pete! I'll touch base with John, but perhaps someone has found an original one that they're willing to sell? One can only hope, I guess . . . .

You and every other 1970 full-sized Buick owner...! That front bumper emblem for 1970 is probably the most elusive, wanted, and impossible to find item for any Buick of the 1970s. Trust me, you're not going to find one, unless someone discovers one in grandpa's attic somewhere, and then it will be $300. John and Joyce Williams in Charleston, Illinois sell reproductions for $100. They aren't an exact match, but they are better than nothing.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

1970 Wildcat 3-speed

and other Buicks

$300 would probably be too cheap, lol! I have been watching for an original one for about 5 years now for a friend, no luck.

$300 would probably be too cheap, lol! I have been watching for an original one for about 5 years now for a friend, no luck.

Ibid. I have been looking for one for my brother's Electra for more than 5 years too! LOL $300 would be a gift

Guest my3buicks

I was thinking the same thing, the last one that I saw go on eBay two years ago went for $575

• 5 weeks later...
Guest DEBAKER

I HAVE TO DIG UP THE PAPERWORK BUT THERE IS AN EMBLEM GUY WHO RESOTORS AND REMAKES THE EMBLEM. I BOUGHT ONE LAST YEAR 500 FOR IT. 250 FOR THE OUTER AND 250 FOR THE INNER. IT IS FLAWLESS. SITTING ON MY DESK UNTILL I GET THE REST OF PAINT WORK DONE. HE ONLY DOES IT A COUPLE TIMES A YEAR SO YOU PUT A DEPOSIT DOWN AS HE TAKES A LIST AND WHEN READY DOES THE ORDER AND WHEN READY YOU PAY THE REST.

I've long been wondering: Since this item is so elusive,

why doesn't someone reproduce a correct piece?

Every other Buick reproduction in the hobby looks

original; so why did the Williamses (mentioned above)

spend all that time and effort to produce a product

with the wrong Buick tri-shield?

Are the originals entirely plastic, or a pot metal-and-

plastic cloisonne combination like many other emblems?

Guest lt4brent

Thanks to everyone for their input. Here's an update. Thanks to Bill Lagna for an easy and courteous transaction -- I now have a beautiful NOS tri-shield emblem. I purchased the surround bezel from Emblemagic, which fortunately was in stock. Also a very easy and courteous transaction. I think the bezel is acceptable, but it is noticeably incorrect to a trained eye. For example, the tri-shield emblem does not fit perfectly, and there is no interior rasied bevel around the opening for the tri-shield emblem. Like most of you I suspect, I'd like it to look very original, so I'm still not 100% happy. Thus, I'm still looking for an original, NOS, or highly accurate repro bezel, and hopefully Michael's contact has the latter. Brent

Guest my3buicks

It's not that easy John, go down to the Reatta forum and do a search for reproducing parts. The cost, versus what people will pay for the part often is just not feasible. Sure there are people that need them, but not usually enough to warrant the production cost. A very good example is Lectric Limited and their reproduction headlights - all the T-3 bulbs are reproduced except the one year only 72's, even though there are thousands out there with 72's the cost just doesn't warrant the run.

Yet the Williamses, as alluded to above,

went to all the effort to help the hobby--

but their reproduction isn't accurate.

These days, 3D printers could make a

single copy in a short time--and economically.

Once a part is scanned and a digital file is created,

that file could be shared with others to make extra

copies of the part by other people and at other times.

I did an interview with a well-known hobbyist out West

who is a big fan of reproducing parts by 3D printer.