Buying a new Chevrolet in 1925

TerryB

Recently found some old sales receipts from a relative's estate. Among them were some sales receipts for the purchase of a new Chevrolet in April 1925.

The dealer was J.F. Longenecker in Lititz Pa. The car was a 1925 coupe serial number 12K 12062 with motor number 1635718. Price was shown as $819.00 a Ford coupe was traded in with an allowance of $200 for it.

The following dealer installed options were added:

Double Weed bumper $15.00

Motor Meter and Cap $5.00

One Dunlop tire $16.50

One Dunlop Tube $3.00

Total $39.50 minus 10% disc $35.55

A Fisher Body check list was also found dated 3/28/25 that shows the color to be Blue Duco and the body number to be 5124.

I assume the car was a two door coupe model. The dealer also sold Scripps-Booth and Marion-Handley autos too from some other items found with these papers. Thre are also many repair receipts for the Chevy that makes me wonder how reliable this car was. Anyway it's interesting reading on a cold day!

Terry

Yes, the old cars certainly required more maintenance. Some more information I found was 1 hr of "ER" time on 10/1/25 at a cost of $0.60. No idea what that means.

The next big maintenance receipt I have was dated 3/17/26 showing:

8 hrs HBW time @ $0.80 - $6.40

Use of grinder and compound $0.25

1 gallon oil $0.90

2 1/2 hrs ER time @ $0.70 - $1.75

4 41539 piston pins @ $0.40 ea - $1.60

2 252A Intake gaskets $0.05

Total repair cost parts and labor - $10.95

On 2/8/27 the intake gaskets were again replaced at a total cost of $3.35

By 8/17/27 another big engine service was required. This receipt shows

1 battery cable w/ labor -$1.50

7 hrs BLS time - $5.60

1 gallon oil - $0.90

2 346894 Valves - $0.60

2 344161 intake gaskets -$0.05

1 344072 felt washer $0.05

1 341233 oil pan gasket $0.50

1 blue bulb - $0.50

Total repair bill $10.25

The $0.80 per hour labor charge for a dealership repair rate is incredible. I wonder what the mechanic was paid from this amount?

Hope you enjoy this little bit of history.

Terry

One last note on this Chevy was the need to replace two tires on our subject car on Sept 30 1927.

The "Lititz (PA) Tire Hospital", H.Z Erb Prop. Sold two Mohawk balloon tires at a cost of $23.75, two Mohawk tubes for $6.00 and installation charge of $1.00 for a total charge of $30.75.

Compared to the price of a set of tires, the engine repair work see like a real bargain!

Terry

Cars did require a lot of upkeep in those days. If you want to know why, watch the Youtube video Oilfield Dodge. Cars were designed for regular maintenance but the makers did try to make it easy and cheap. The modern era of maintenance free cars didn't catch on until the seventies.

I often remind customers that cars back in the day required a lot more upkeep. Think about stopping for gas even up into the 1960s. At the fuel island there was usually a large pour can of water (cars overheated) a container of distilled water for the battery ( batteries were high maintenance) and a display of oil (cars used oil). There was a reason the attendant offered to check your oil every time you bought gas.

In the fifties and sixties it seemed there was a gas station and repair garage on every corner. In the 80s they all turned into convenience stores, hairdressers, and restaurants. There are about 1/10th as many as there used to be. All because cars don't burn gas the way they used to and don't require service and repairs. Even though we drive more miles and there are more cars on the road.