Locking Door Handle

RWPerry

Before I make a lot of work for myself I was wondering if there is any way to remove the outside locking door handle from my 1928 Senior. The lock of my original was messed up but I found a replacement one, with keys fortunately. I would really not like to remove the inside door panel if I do not have to since it is tacked in place. On a 1936 Chrysler I worked on there was a screw in the edge of the door that you loosened to remove the handle but this car does not have that. I assume it is the same type of handle as that used in the Victory, just a half inch longer handle.

My 1930 DC has 2 screws on the outside in the door handle surround, and when you remove them you can pull the handle & shaft out, then the key mech is held in by a small pin through the diecast which has to be pushed out, then the lock will fall out MAYBE, but I can't vouch that the senior is the same. Anyway goodluck

regards

Kevin bc

I have removed the screws holding the escutcheon on the outside but the handle only comes out about 1/8" and is held by something. The replacement one has a groove in the square shaft about 1/2" from the end so maybe there is a c-ring or some kind of mechanism that fits in the groove and prevents pulling the handle out. I guess I will have to bite the bullet and take the inside of the door apart. Just what I wanted for Christmas.

I had a very similar problem when I tried to remove my 1930 exterior locking door handle. In my case I finally discovered that the ridge at the end of the handle shaft was catching on a interior square hole that was not perfectly square. After a lot of manipulation I was finally able to free my handle. I then used a small triangular file to make my problem square hole square. Now my handle is removable. Good Luck!

RW

As someone else alluded to, they had to wriggle & shake & pull to get it out. What the problem is that I think the square shafts were guilottenned cut so the square distorted slightly,but when they are pushed in they seem to go in with a good push, but always seem reluctant to come out. If you get it out file it square again as another member said. You could try a little WD40 from the OS to make it slippery, but don't overdo it.

Kevin bc

I tried moving the inside handle while I pulled but it did not help and it is unlocked. I guess I just have to wiggle it and pull harder. As I recall on the Chrysler I did have to file the square shaft a bit to get it back in. It appeared in that case like the shaft or the hole had distorted somewhat over time.