1929 Buick - Problem with Radiator

gebo

I have a big problem and hope you can help me. I bought a 1929 Buick 29-44 Series 121. The vehicle looked good. At home, I realized that there were 1,85 gal. water missing in radiator. I filled in the water and started the engine. The water came up out of the radiator opening. I realized then that the gaskets were missing on the radiator cap. I tried to find rubber gaskets, but could not. Then I wanted to check the thermostat on the radiator. I realized there is no thermostat. The radiator seems to have been rebuilt, probably in Europe. I assume they could not find a thermostat with housing so this part has been not installed. So the water flows freely into the radiator at all times and fills it completly until it overflows. Since there is no gasket on the cap, it just spills out.

My question is.

1. Where can buy a proper radiator cap for this model?

2. Does anyone know a manufacturer of a thermosat housing with thermostat?

Thanks for your answers.

gebo

post-73942-143142861301_thumb.jpg

post-73942-143142861309_thumb.jpg

Edited by gebo (see edit history)

gebo, FWIW my 1926 Model 26 doesn't have a thermostat as well, I can run the engine with the cap completely off, at various rpms and the coolant will not overflow out of the radiator spout. Only time this happens is when it overheats. Perhaps your radiator has some type of restriction or is simply overfilled. Hopefully others will chime in on this.

Restoration Supply lists an In Line Thermostat in 1.5" and 2" diameter. I have no experience with these, however have considered installing one in my '26.

www.restorationstuff.com

Bob's Automobilia does list a "flip lid" cap for a 1929.

www.bobsautomobilia.com

Edited by AzBob
additional information (see edit history)

I would be concerned that you may have a blown headgasket and compressed air is pushing into the water jacket forcing water out the radiator. Check for water in the oil. Is the oil overfull on the dip stick? These early cars run an open cooling system. There is no pressure in the cooling system on the radiator side of the system. The low water level suggests that water ran down into the cylinder. Did you have a lot of water vapor coming out the exhaust when the engine is running? Don't run this engine till you are sure the headgasket is okay. You can bend a rod if water is in the cylinder.

Bob Engle

gebo,

I think I saw a radiator cap for a '29 Buick for sale on e-bay yesterday, but I did not look too closely to see if it was correct for 1929. However, there is a web site and club devoted to just 1929 Buicks that I highly recommend. It is www.29buick.ca. There are several reference articles and photos, and I know there are photos showing all of the legitimate radiator cap versions for 1929 Buick's (I think there are 2 or 3 factory ones and another 1 or 2 aftermarket versions). The club puts out a quarterly newsletter that always includes want ads with lots of parts for sale. Fortunately for you, your car is a model in the "Master" series rather than the "Standard" series, there seems to be more parts for sale for Master cars in general.

Also, once the engine is hot you will lose some water or glycol or whatever you run in the cooling system - it is normal for some to spill on the ground, although it sounds like yours spills way too soon and too much. I am often a quart or two low after driving for 15 miles in the summer.

gebo,

Because it is winter now, the seller could have just drained the cooling system to prevent freezing during shipment. The coolant level should be just above the radiator core to allow for expansion into the upper tank. It will seek it's own correct level by overflowing too. Just make sure coolant still covers the core after running. I too recommend that you subscribe to Bill Mc Laughlin's 29 Buick newsletter. http://www.29buick.ca/

Thanks for the answers everyone.

@ Bob Engle: I checked the engine and the there is no water in the oil and the head gasket is still fine. Also there is no white smoke when the engine runs and all cylinders have full compression (I did a test on it).

@AzBob: Thanks for the link, I will try to contact the guys behind restorationstuff.com, I alreadyd contacted Bob @ Bob's Automobilia, he does have some parts I maybe able to use.

How much water should actually be in the radiator when the engine is not running? If I do fill it to cover the core, there is not a lot of room left to the top of the radiator, only about 1.5-2 inches...

Rod,

looking at some pictures on the web I noticed that the inlet/thermosthat housing is slightly different, as you can see in the attached picture. There are even differences within the Series' of one year.

Mark,

that is a very nice car your son has. Do you know where I could get one of these radiator caps? Also do you happen to have a picture of this car's inlet/thermosthat housing? Can you tell e te size/diameter of the cap?

post-73942-143142864804_thumb.jpg

Gebo:

Join the Club (<www.29buick.ca>) and you get pages of supplier names and addresses for 1929 Buick restorations. PM me your email address and I'll send you a Welcome Package for the Club.

FYI, there is an early screw-down 1929 Buick radiator cap on eBay at the moment (<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1929-Buick-Screw-Valve-Radiator-Cap-Hood-Ornament-29-/171569404684?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27f2555b0c&vxp=mtr>)

Bill McLaughlin

1929 Silver Anniversary Buick Club.